Twitter: Is It Worth the Time and Effort?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Twitter
In summary, some people are obsessed with technology and can't get enough of it. Other people are tired of all the technology and want to return to the real world. There is going to be advertising on twitter.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Posting all those updates about oneself seems very time consuming. But maybe I am just behind the times, as usual.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I must be even more behind the times than you are, because I'd never heard of "twitter" before. :uhh:

My company pushes the use of twitter for employees to reach out to clients.

I don't use it.

I'm getting tired of all the technology, and that's my job. Perhaps why I don't care for all of the techie ways to become more and more tied to using the stuff.

Moonbear said:
Well, I must be even more behind the times than you are, because I'd never heard of "twitter" before. :uhh:

I just heard about it recently.

http://twitter.com/

"Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?"

Evo said:

I don't use it.

I'm getting tired of all the technology, and that's my job. Perhaps why I don't care for all of the techie ways to become more and more tied to using the stuff.

There was something you said about being tethered to technology in another thread that made me think of Twitter. It just seems like we've reached overkill.

Math Is Hard said:
There was something you said about being tethered to technology in another thread that made me think of Twitter. It just seems like we've reached overkill.
Some people can't get enough. Personally I still like the real world enough to enjoy other things.

From a business perspective we want you so tied to your gadgets and online services that you can't live without us. That's how we make our money. :frown:

That WIFI in the park, we sell that to the city. It comes out of the resident's tax dollars. Nothing is free.

Math Is Hard said:

"Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?"

"What are you doing friend?" "Don't bother me I'm twittering"

Evo said:

I don't use it.

People keep coming up with new "stuff" and then have to find a market for it. I would imagine that there is going to be some advertising on twitter.

It seems like "reverse stalking" in that you are continually broadcasting what you are doing.:biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
It seems like "reverse stalking" in that you are continually broadcasting what you are doing.:biggrin:

LOL in my case no one would be interested.

Math Is Hard said:

I hope my mom never finds out about it. :bugeye: Though, I'm sure I could get her to quick checking quickly enough if she got to be a pest about it. :biggrin: "I'm having sex." "More sex." "Just snuggling now, hoping for sex later..." :devil:

Evo said:
Some people can't get enough. Personally I still like the real world enough to enjoy other things.

From a business perspective we want you so tied to your gadgets and online services that you can't live without us. That's how we make our money. :frown:
Yep, and as edward points out, it's just technology for technology's sake in search of a market rather than technology filling a legitimate need.

That WIFI in the park, we sell that to the city. It comes out of the resident's tax dollars. Nothing is free.
Of course it's paid for by tax dollars. But, since I'm not the one living there, it's free to me. The tourists get to mooch off the NYers and their ridiculously exhorbitant city taxes. :biggrin: (Still trying to convince the boyfriend he should reject it all and move to WV with me...he's more conservative than I am and already knows how to shoot a rifle, so should fit in well here. :rofl:)

Moonbear said:
I hope my mom never finds out about it. :bugeye: Though, I'm sure I could get her to quick checking quickly enough if she got to be a pest about it. :biggrin: "I'm having sex." "More sex." "Just snuggling now, hoping for sex later..." :devil:

:rofl:

Here's some variations of Twitter I've been thinking about:

Kitter: tiny robot follows your cat around and takes pictures so you can see what kitty is doing every 5 minutes

Bitter: only sends you updates of what a great time your ex is having

Quitter: linked to a device the user wears that detects cigarette smoke. Broadcasts go out to everyone if the user cheats

Math Is Hard said:
:rofl:

Here's some variations of Twitter I've been thinking about:

Kitter: tiny robot follows your cat around and takes pictures so you can see what kitty is doing every 5 minutes

Bitter: only sends you updates of what a great time your ex is having

Quitter: linked to a device the user wears that detects cigarette smoke. Broadcasts go out to everyone if the user cheats

:rofl: Now those would be worth signing up for! Especially Kitter. :biggrin: (Ember says she's trying to sleep on the back of the sofa, quit asking what she's doing. :biggrin:)

Twitter, Myspace, Second Life... *rips hair out*

Sharing information is great, but I think that the information deluge is making us more reliant on corporations that help us sort that information and making the web less free as a side-effect.

Semi-relevantly and amusingly: here's a link to some guy who has beaten you to the punch; this is the _real_ Kitter.

http://www.mr-lee-catcam.de/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Twitter?

Twitter is a social media platform where users can post short messages, known as tweets, to share their thoughts, opinions, and experiences with others. It also allows users to follow and interact with other users' tweets, creating a network of connections.

How popular is Twitter?

As of 2021, Twitter has over 330 million active users worldwide. It is one of the top social media platforms used by individuals, businesses, and organizations to connect with others and share information.

Is Twitter worth the time and effort?

The answer to this question depends on your personal goals and how you use the platform. Twitter can be a valuable tool for networking, staying informed, and sharing your content with a larger audience. However, it does require time and effort to build a following and engage with others on the platform.

How can Twitter benefit scientists?

Twitter can benefit scientists in several ways. It allows them to connect with fellow researchers, share their work and findings, and stay updated on the latest developments and discussions in their field. It can also be a useful platform for promoting their research and engaging with the general public.

Are there any downsides to using Twitter?

As with any social media platform, there are potential downsides to using Twitter. These may include the risk of misinformation, online harassment, and the time and effort required to stay active on the platform. It is essential to use Twitter responsibly and be mindful of the content you post and consume.