The discrete self-trapping equation

• Thread starter Hootaotao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discrete
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a paper titled "The discrete self-trapping equation" by J.C. Eilbeck, P.S. Lomdahl, and A.C. Scott from 1985. The person asking for help has had trouble finding the paper at their university's library, and others offer suggestions and share their own access limitations. The conversation also briefly touches on the subject of quantum theory.
Hootaotao
Can anybody help me find a paper?
The name is "The discrete self-trapping equation", or "J.C. Eilbeck, P.S. Lomdahl, A.C. Scott, Physica D 16 (1985) 318."

Thank you very much !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hootaotao said:
Can anybody help me find a paper?
The name is "The discrete self-trapping equation", or "J.C. Eilbeck, P.S. Lomdahl, A.C. Scott, Physica D 16 (1985) 318."

Thank you very much !

try the library.

olgranpappy said:
try the library.
The library of my university only provides a paper after 1995, so...

thank you all the same

Hootaotao said:
The library of my university only provides a paper after 1995, so...

thank you all the same

My library only has electronic access after 1995 as well.

We have the actual bound paper volumes from 1980 onward, but I'm too lazy to make a physical (non-virtual) trip to the library. Cheers.

olgranpappy said:
My library only has electronic access after 1995 as well.
I see. So You can read only tales about subject...
-------------------------------------------
Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it. Niels Bohr (1885 - 1962) It's a pity, You can't read even Bohr, without particle "re".

Last edited:

thanks everybody, i have one
if anyone has problems may email me and have a talk,
i am majoring theoretical physics using MD
you are wellcome!
<personal email deleted>

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the discrete self-trapping equation?

The discrete self-trapping equation is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of particles in a nonlinear lattice system. It is used to study the phenomenon of self-trapping, where particles can become localized and trapped in a specific region of the lattice due to nonlinear interactions.

2. How does the discrete self-trapping equation differ from other equations?

The discrete self-trapping equation is a discrete version of the nonlinear Schrödinger equation, while other equations such as the Gross-Pitaevskii equation are continuous. This means that the discrete self-trapping equation takes into account the discrete nature of the lattice system, while other equations assume a continuous system.

3. What are the applications of the discrete self-trapping equation?

The discrete self-trapping equation has been used in various fields such as condensed matter physics, quantum optics, and nonlinear optics. It has also been applied to study phenomena such as Bose-Einstein condensates, solitons, and optical vortices.

4. How is the discrete self-trapping equation solved?

The discrete self-trapping equation is a nonlinear equation and does not have an analytical solution. Therefore, it is typically solved using numerical methods such as the split-step Fourier method or the Runge-Kutta method.

5. What are the limitations of the discrete self-trapping equation?

One limitation of the discrete self-trapping equation is that it is a simplified model and does not take into account certain factors such as dissipation and external forces. It also assumes a perfectly symmetric lattice, which may not be the case in real systems. Additionally, the equation may not accurately describe the behavior of particles in highly nonlinear systems.