Free/Cheap Web Editors, do they exist?

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Web
In summary, there are many options for HTML editors, including both WYSIWYG and non-WYSIWYG editors. Some popular ones include KompoZer, Notepad++, EditPlus, and Namo 2006. It is important to avoid using FrontPage as its HTML is not standard and may not work well outside of Internet Explorer. It is recommended to do some research and possibly try out demos before choosing an HTML editor.
Dragonfall
A la frontpage or something, preferably free?

Computer science news on Phys.org
In windows or did this just become an easier question :smile: ?

This website has plenty of WYSIWYG editors:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/htmleditors.shtml

KompoZer is pretty decent if you don't have access to Dreamweaver.

If you are looking for a non-WYSIWYG editor, check out Notepad++ (also in above link). I keep a copy on a jump drive so I can use it anywhere when I am in a pinch.

I've used KompoZer, which is Wysiwyg, but has many bugs, so I gave up.

Don't use FrontPage, it's html isn't standard and works bad outside Internet Explorer.

I use Namo 2006 (=v7), it's affordable and good. v6 was bugged, avoid it. v4 was good and fast (but older now). I didn't use v5, said to be bugged but v5.5 was said to be good.

PerennialII said:
In windows or did this just become an easier question :smile: ?

Lol, +1. I was thinking iWeb too.

1. Are there any truly free web editors available?

Yes, there are many free web editors available for download online. These include popular options like Notepad++, Sublime Text, and Atom.

2. Can I trust a free web editor to produce professional-quality websites?

It depends on the specific web editor and your own skills. Some free web editors have advanced features and plugins that can produce high-quality websites, while others may have limitations. It's important to do your research and read reviews before choosing a free web editor.

3. Are there any web editors that are both free and open-source?

Yes, there are several open-source web editors that are completely free to use. Some examples include Bluefish, KompoZer, and Aptana Studio.

4. Can I find a web editor that is both free and user-friendly?

There are many free web editors that are designed to be user-friendly and easy to use, even for beginners. Some popular options include Brackets, Visual Studio Code, and CoffeeCup HTML Editor.

5. Is it worth it to invest in a paid web editor instead of using a free one?

It depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some paid web editors may have advanced features and support that can benefit professional web developers, while others may not be worth the investment for basic website creation. It's important to consider your budget and do your research before deciding on a web editor.