Re-arranging a formula to find Vm

• Thread starter Sparkyian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, rearranging a formula to find Vm allows for solving the membrane potential in relation to other variables. The Nernst and Goldman equations can be used to find Vm depending on the situation and ions involved. The method for rearranging a formula to find Vm varies, but typically involves isolating Vm and using algebraic manipulation. Common mistakes to avoid include forgetting necessary terms and variables, incorrect substitutions, and not following the correct order of operations. The formula for finding Vm may vary for different cell types, so it is important to use the appropriate formula for the specific cell being studied.
Sparkyian
Can anyone explain to me how to re-arrange the following formula to find V(m).

V(L)=V(m)-(V(m)/2fCR).

Please explain step by step as I am really stuck.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just algebra. Start by multiplying both sides by 2fCR in order to get rid of the fraction. Then isolate Vm by putting all of the terms with Vm on one side, and all of the terms without Vm on the other side. Continue collecting terms and stuff until you're left with something of the form

Vm = blah.

Thank you.

1. What is the purpose of re-arranging a formula to find Vm?

Re-arranging a formula to find Vm allows us to solve for the membrane potential (Vm) in an equation that relates it to other variables. This is useful in understanding the behavior of cells and membranes.

2. How do I know when to use the Nernst or Goldman equations to find Vm?

The Nernst and Goldman equations are used to calculate the equilibrium potential and resting membrane potential, respectively. The Nernst equation is used for single ions, while the Goldman equation takes into account multiple ions. The appropriate equation to use depends on the specific situation and ions involved.

3. Can I use the same re-arrangement method for any formula to find Vm?

The method for re-arranging a formula to solve for Vm will depend on the specific formula and variables involved. However, the general approach is to isolate Vm on one side of the equation and then solve for it using algebraic manipulation.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when re-arranging a formula to find Vm?

Some common mistakes when re-arranging a formula to find Vm include forgetting to include all necessary terms and variables, making incorrect substitutions or rearrangements, and not following the correct order of operations. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all steps are correct.

5. Can I use the same formula to find Vm for all cell types?

The formula for finding Vm may vary depending on the type of cell and its specific properties. For example, neurons have different resting membrane potentials than muscle cells. It is important to use the appropriate formula for the specific cell type being studied.