The Oroville U-2 spy plane crash[es]

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, two U-2 spy planes went down in Oroville, California during the 1970s. One of the planes landed on the property of a friend's mother, and the other was observed by my father. The plane crashed into the newspaper building in town, and the dead pilot landed on a street very near my parents house.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was reminded of this tonight and thought it worth a post. I lived in Oroville, California, for a time, and my parents lived there for a couple of decades. Strangely enough, there were two U-2 spy planes that went down in Oroville during this time. I was there for the first, which landed on the property of the mother of a friend. You can imagine her surprise when she saw a U-2 coming down!

The second event was witnessed by my father, who saw the pilot and the plane coming down separately. The plane crashed into the newspaper building in town, and the dead pilot landed on a street very near my parents house.

I checked and spotted a page dedicated to these events, with a photo of the crash scene.

I remember when that happened. I was driving home from work in Chico and was just north of Oroville when I came across a group of highly armed Air Force Security personnel (pointing M-16's) who had staked out the area near the freeway. The U-2 had crash landed out in the volcanic rock area west of the freeway. The area is flat and the pilot was not seriously injured. I am not sure of the circumstances but rumor had it that the pilot had passed out and the plane was so aerodynamic that it crashed landed itself. Apparently just then the pilot woke up, panicked, and ejected from the ground! His only injury was a broken nose.

The above information lays the groundwork for the following story that involves a U-2, the Oroville Mercury Register, the personnel of Beale and the people of Oroville. The devastating incident effected them all, but especially it changed the lives of all Oroville Mercury employees and destroyed the lives of two other people.

Amazingly, it has now been over a decade since this tragedy. But time has not diminished the terror of it.

This website is dedicated to the victims and their families. It is also dedicated to those who came to their aid in this deadly incident. [continued]
http://members.tripod.com/~ffhiker/index-6.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A horrendous event that reminds me of the Victor that crashed (quite) near us

http://www.lighthorneheath.ukgo.com/2g.htm

People all ways worried as we were only two miles across country from the end of the runway.

Last edited by a moderator:
A strange twist to the Victor crash, one of the guys to be first at the the crash site is now my father in law, he was posted at Gaydon at the time.
Small world.

Edit. not my farth in law.

Last edited:

What is the Oroville U-2 spy plane crash?

The Oroville U-2 spy plane crash refers to two separate incidents in which U-2 reconnaissance planes crashed near the town of Oroville, California. The first crash occurred in 1958 and the second crash occurred in 1962.

What caused the Oroville U-2 spy plane crashes?

The first crash was caused by a mechanical failure, specifically a fuel gauge malfunction that led to the plane running out of fuel. The second crash was caused by pilot error, as the pilot descended too quickly and lost control of the plane.

Were there any fatalities in the Oroville U-2 spy plane crashes?

Yes, unfortunately both crashes resulted in fatalities. The first crash claimed the life of the pilot, while the second crash resulted in the deaths of both the pilot and a civilian on the ground.

What was the significance of the Oroville U-2 spy plane crashes?

The crashes brought attention to the U-2 spy plane program and its importance in Cold War intelligence gathering. The crashes also highlighted the risks and challenges of flying at high altitudes.

Has the Oroville U-2 spy plane crash site been preserved?

No, the crash sites were not preserved as they were located in remote areas and deemed unsafe for visitors. However, there is a memorial plaque at the second crash site to honor the lives lost in the tragic event.