Statistics Expected Variable Question

In summary, the larger score, Y, when two dice are thrown can never be 1 and can never be the same as the other die. To calculate E(Y), where the dice are presumed to be fair, you add together the larger number in all 36 pairs and divide by 36, accounting for the 6 pairs with the same value by picking either number to be the larger.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

Y is the larger score showing when two dice are thrown
Calculate E(Y)

Homework Equations

Presume the dice are fair

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmm not sure. I've listed combinations of throw events on paper but I don't think that will help. Y can never be 1. Y can never be the same as the other die?
Do I want to draw a probability distrubution table?

I've been messing around with it for a while with not much progress

Physics news on Phys.org
If both dice come up with 1s, if you don't count the 1, you won't have anything to count for that roll.

With two dice, there are 36 possible outcomes: {(1, 1), (1, 2), ... , (1, 6), (2, 1), ... (2, 6), (3, 1), ..., (3, 6), (4, 1), ..., (4, 6), (5, 1), ..., (5, 6), (6, 1), ..., (6, 6)}.

I think that for the expected value of Y, E(Y), you add together the larger number in all 36 pairs, and divide by the number of pairs, which is 36. For the 6 pairs that have the same value, pick either number to be the larger; it's certainly not the smaller of the two.

I would approach this problem by using the basic principles of probability and statistics. Since the dice are fair, we can assume that each number on the dice has an equal chance of being rolled. Therefore, the possible outcomes for Y are 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. To calculate E(Y), we will use the formula E(Y) = Σ(y * P(y)), where y represents the possible outcomes and P(y) represents the probability of each outcome.

First, we need to determine the probability of each outcome. This can be done by creating a probability distribution table, as you mentioned. The table would look like this:

Outcome (Y) | Probability (P(Y))
2 | 1/36
3 | 2/36
4 | 3/36
5 | 4/36
6 | 5/36
7 | 6/36
8 | 5/36
9 | 4/36
10 | 3/36
11 | 2/36
12 | 1/36

To calculate the expected value, we will multiply each outcome by its probability and then sum up the results. This can be represented as Σ(y * P(y)) = (2 * 1/36) + (3 * 2/36) + (4 * 3/36) + (5 * 4/36) + (6 * 5/36) + (7 * 6/36) + (8 * 5/36) + (9 * 4/36) + (10 * 3/36) + (11 * 2/36) + (12 * 1/36) = 7.

Therefore, the expected value of Y is 7. This means that if we were to roll the two dice many times, the average value of Y would be 7. I hope this helps you in your calculations.

1. What is an expected variable in statistics?

An expected variable in statistics is a variable that has a known or predicted value based on a set of data. It is also referred to as the mean or average value of a dataset.

2. How is an expected variable calculated?

The expected variable is calculated by adding all the values in a dataset and dividing by the total number of values. This is also known as the arithmetic mean.

3. What is the purpose of an expected variable in statistics?

The purpose of an expected variable is to provide a central value that represents the data and can be used for comparison and analysis. It is also used in various statistical calculations, such as standard deviation and hypothesis testing.

4. Can an expected variable change?

Yes, an expected variable can change if new data is added to the dataset. This can result in a shift in the central value and potentially affect the overall analysis and conclusions drawn from the data.

5. What is the difference between an expected variable and an observed variable?

An expected variable is a predicted or calculated value based on a dataset, while an observed variable is an actual value that is measured or observed in the data. The difference between the two can provide insights into the accuracy of predictions and the variability of the data.