Can you wash sneakers in a washing machine?

In summary: I use a toothbrush to get the dirt of my takkies - put some wahing powder in a bowl with water, dip the toothbrush and rub of dirt. It works quite well and my shoes are clean. Though, it does take damn long.
mooberrymarz
Can u wash sneakers in a washing machine??

I have no clue how to wash shoes. Staying by myself is sooo damn hard... :mad: Is it ok if i just dump them in a washing machine.. some people say i should but others say its a really dumb idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
NO!

You'll damage them! Go to Click's or something and buy those shoe cleaning material thingies. Also, sneakers (takkies!) come with a care guide (if you buy some proper ones.) Follow it and you shall be happy...! :wink:

I use a toothbrush to get the dirt of my takkies - put some wahing powder in a bowl with water, dip the toothbrush and rub of dirt. It works quite well and my shoes are clean. Though, it does take damn long.

Sneakers are supposed to be dirty.

Njorl

True. My new sneakers don't stay clean for longer than a period of a week, and they turn yellow and brown after my outdoor cross-country runs. I think its gotten to a point where it can't be scrubbed off, the stains are too deeply rooted.

yeah my takkies are those puma mostro mesh's and i don't really know how to get the dirt of the mesh part. I'll try the toothbrush thing and I that doesn't work U WILL PAY FOR MAKING ME MESS THEM UP! Ahemmm... no really, I'll try it out.

Don't dry them in a microwave oven.
See book "Cuckoo's Egg" by Clifford Stoll for more details.

The only thing holding one of my pair of trainers together is the dirt.

I use a scrub brush and a paste I make with Tide detergent, rinse to remove soap and air dry outside.

Buy shoe cleansers. Don't put your sneakers in you washing machine! (Life skills). lol

were you able to clean the oum sing on the side of you shoes. mine is white and if i use a damp cloth it turns cream or darker like grey. any advice?

I've put mine in the washing machine several times - it works a treat.

Go for it mooberrymarz!

Are you guys talking about leather shoes?

I have two pairs of running shoes, both over 8 years old and I have washed them many times.

rofl, this thread was almost exactly a year old. You can clean shoes in hte washing machine as long as they don't have any leather or else it'll ruin them.

Holy crap. It is a year old.

I was mine in the machine, and then air dry them. Even the ones with leather trim seem to come out ok.

Maybe it is good to include some old towels in the wash, so that they are cushioned somewhat while tumbling. I don't even own sneakers, but I guess that would work.

wow, I've never known anyone who didn't own sneakers. They are the most comfortable shoes in the world!

Just hose your sneakers off and wait for them to dry(that's what I do)

Adrian Baker said:
I've put mine in the washing machine several times - it works a treat.

Go for it mooberrymarz!
Yeah, they whites parts turn much whiter and especially the shoelaces get cleaner. I've put mine in many times.

hypatia said:
wow, I've never known anyone who didn't own sneakers. They are the most comfortable shoes in the world!
Nah, I never find them very comfortable. I have regular shoes that are much more comfortable and don't make my feet sweat like sneakers do. But, I do wear the sneakers for lawn mowing. When I was a kid, mom always tossed our sneakers in the washer and dryer (and they always made loud clunking in the dryer no matter what they were in there with).

The only shoes I've ever owned are tennis or running shoes, dress shoes, and sandals. I've never even tried any other kinds.

hypatia said:
Not exactly my style, my favorite shoes are some suede boots with heals :smile: they'd look like this http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:tzA8f0eumIoJ:http://www.duoofbath.com/images/policies_main.jpg [Broken] (they walk like heaven). I should get some sneakers so that I can start take up running or some other sport..

Hey, I've got a question: how do you get stains out of suede shoes? I made the mistake to wear the boots to a club, and now there are beer stains on it.. I have been afraid to even attempt cleaning it with a towel and water. Maybe I should stop by the shoe-maker and ask if there are special products..

Those are nice boots! I wear dress shoes everyday, but the second I get home off they come. The sneakers go on and then I take my dog for a walk. She{the dog} knows what the shoes mean, and she gets all excited, and runs for her lead.

1. Can I put my sneakers in the washing machine?

Yes, you can put your sneakers in the washing machine as long as they are not made of materials that may be damaged by the washing process, such as leather or suede. Always check the care instructions on your sneakers before washing them.

2. Do I need to remove the laces before washing my sneakers?

It is recommended to remove the laces before washing your sneakers. This will allow for a more thorough cleaning and prevent the laces from getting tangled or damaged during the wash cycle.

3. What cycle should I use for washing sneakers in the washing machine?

It is best to use a gentle or delicate cycle when washing sneakers in the washing machine. This will prevent any damage to the shoes and ensure they are cleaned effectively.

4. Can I use regular laundry detergent to wash my sneakers?

Yes, you can use regular laundry detergent to wash your sneakers. However, it is recommended to use a mild detergent and avoid using bleach or fabric softener as these can damage the material of the shoes.

5. How should I dry my sneakers after washing them in the washing machine?

After washing your sneakers, it is important to air dry them by placing them in a well-ventilated area. Avoid using a dryer or direct heat as this can cause shrinkage or damage to the shoes. Stuffing the shoes with paper towels can help them retain their shape while drying.