Solve Bright Fringes Problem: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter noobie!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fringes
In summary, the conversation revolves around seeking help with determining the value of m in interference pattern problems. The poster is confused about how to determine the value of m and is seeking clarification. They provide an example and the solution they came up with, but are unsure if it is correct. Another poster confirms that their method is correct and offers a humorous explanation for their username. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the original poster expressing gratitude for the help.
noobie!

Homework Statement

Original Post:
[post]1998976[/post]
i would like to seek help from anyone of you,could you please help me with these questions?
1)The fourth nodal line on an interference pattern is 8.4 cm from the first antinodal line when the screen is placed 235 cm from the slits. The slits are separated by 0.25 mm.?
the answer for m=2.5 ,can you please help me to check and rectify my mistake if have any of them..is that because of there are 5 bright fringes;then we start count from 1st antinodal line till 4th nodal line,so it has 2.5 steps..am i wright?if not,then how do we know the value of m?is there any way to evaluate m?thanks for your kind help..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

The link to your earlier post isn't working. Did you list relevant equations and show an attempt at a solution when you originally posted this problem?

heth said:
The link to your earlier post isn't working. Did you list relevant equations and show an attempt at a solution when you originally posted this problem?

hmm,actually i just wanted to know how to figure out the m when i encounter this kind of questions...

eg of a relevant que is:Two slits separated by 0.250 mm produces an interference pattern in which the fifth dark band is located 12.8 cm from the central antinode when the screen is placed a distance of 8.2 meters away.

solution: because central antinode is m=o wright?then counted frm central antinode to 5th dark fringe..so it works out to be 4.5!so frm antinode m=0,go through m=1,2,3,4 when it reaches 4th fringes of bright fringe its m=4.thus que requires 5th dark fringe so the other half contributes which is 4th bright fringes + 1/2 bright fringe ans wll be 4.5,am i wright?if its not the way,could you please show me the exact way to determine m?thank a lot

> am i wright.

You certainly are, Wilbur! The dark patches will be halfway between the light patches - so if you imagine/sketch the fringes then count along, you'll get m=4.5 for the 5th dark patch.

heth said:
> am i wright.

You certainly are, Wilbur! The dark patches will be halfway between the light patches - so if you imagine/sketch the fringes then count along, you'll get m=4.5 for the 5th dark patch.

oh,ok,i finally understand..thanks for your kind help,is much appreciated..btw,what's wilbur?haha,thanks a lot yea..what's your name?glad to have you to teach me..thanks..

Wilbur and Orville Wright - the Wright brothers.

heth said:
> am i wright.

You certainly are, Wilbur!

Wilbur and Orville Wright - the Wright brothers.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL

1. What is the "Solve Bright Fringes Problem"?

The "Solve Bright Fringes Problem" is a scientific problem that involves calculating the location of bright fringes in a diffraction pattern. These bright fringes appear when a beam of light passes through a narrow slit or diffracting object, and can be measured to determine properties of the light or the diffracting object.

2. Why is it important to solve the bright fringes problem?

Solving the bright fringes problem is important for understanding the behavior of light and diffracting objects. It can also provide valuable information about the properties of the light source and the diffracting object, such as the wavelength of the light and the size of the slit or object.

3. What is the step-by-step guide for solving the bright fringes problem?

The step-by-step guide for solving the bright fringes problem involves using the equations for diffraction to calculate the location of the bright fringes. This includes determining the spacing between fringes using the grating equation, and using the geometry of the setup to calculate the distance between the slit or object and the screen where the fringes are observed. Finally, the location of the bright fringes can be calculated using the relationship between the distance, wavelength, and the angle of diffraction.

4. What are some common challenges when solving the bright fringes problem?

Some common challenges when solving the bright fringes problem include accurately measuring the distance between the slit or object and the screen, as well as obtaining precise measurements of the angles of diffraction. Additionally, factors such as the quality and coherence of the light source can also affect the accuracy of the calculations.

5. How can the bright fringes problem be applied in real-world situations?

The bright fringes problem has many real-world applications, such as in the field of optics and engineering. It can be used to measure the wavelength of light sources, the thickness of thin films, and the size and spacing of microscopic structures. It is also used in the development of diffractive optical devices and techniques for imaging and sensing.