Find Min B to Flip Spin-Up in Magnetic Field

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum value of B for which S_x is flipped in a spin 1/2 system placed in a magnetic field along the z direction. The Hamiltonian for the system is given and the time-dependent solution is used to determine the probability of finding the spin-down state when measuring S_x. Setting this probability to 1 and solving for B gives the minimum value, where sin w_0t is set to 1. The completeness of the problem is questioned, but the solution appears to be correct.
KFC

Homework Statement

Assuming a spin 1/2 is put in a magnetic filed along z direction [tex]B_z = B*cos(w_0 t)[/tex]. At the beginning, the spin is in spin-up along x direction, i.e.

[tex]\psi(0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(
\begin{matrix}
1 \\ 1
\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

Try to find out the minimum [tex]B[/tex] such that [tex]S_x[/tex] is flip.

2. The attempt at a solution
First of all, I write than the Hamiltonian of the system

[tex]H \propto
\left(
\begin{matrix}
B\cos w_0t & 0\\
0 & -B\cos w_0t
\end{matrix}
\right)
[/tex]

From that, in any time t>0, the state will evolute as [tex]\psi(t)[/tex] (I already solved that). From the time-dependent solution, I can figure out the probability to find the spin-down when measuring [tex]S_x[/tex], which is of the following form

[tex]P = \sin^2(\gamma \sin(w_0 t))[/tex]

where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is a constant containing B. Hence, to make the system flip, I have to let P=1, i.e.

[tex]\gamma \sin(w_0 t)=\pi/2[/tex]

and solve for B gives

[tex] B = \frac{k}{\sin w_0 t}[/tex]

where k is another constant. For finding the minimum B, I just take [tex]sin w_0t =1[/tex]. I don't know if my solution is correct or not. Any comment?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KFC said:

Homework Statement

Assuming a spin 1/2 is put in a magnetic filed along z direction [tex]B_z = B*cos(w_0 t)[/tex]. At the beginning, the spin is in spin-up along x direction, i.e.

[tex]\psi(0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(
\begin{matrix}
1 \\ 1
\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

Try to find out the minimum [tex]B[/tex] such that [tex]S_x[/tex] is flip.

2. The attempt at a solution
First of all, I write than the Hamiltonian of the system

[tex]H \propto
\left(
\begin{matrix}
B\cos w_0t & 0\\
0 & -B\cos w_0t
\end{matrix}
\right)
[/tex]

From that, in any time t>0, the state will evolute as [tex]\psi(t)[/tex] (I already solved that). From the time-dependent solution, I can figure out the probability to find the spin-down when measuring [tex]S_x[/tex], which is of the following form

[tex]P = \sin^2(\gamma \sin(w_0 t))[/tex]

where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is a constant containing B. Hence, to make the system flip, I have to let P=1, i.e.

[tex]\gamma \sin(w_0 t)=\pi/2[/tex]

and solve for B gives

[tex] B = \frac{k}{\sin w_0 t}[/tex]

where k is another constant. For finding the minimum B, I just take [tex]sin w_0t =1[/tex]. I don't know if my solution is correct or not. Any comment?

it seems like something may be missing from the question... is that the exact statement of the question on the homework?

olgranpappy said:
it seems like something may be missing from the question... is that the exact statement of the question on the homework?

Thanks for reply. This is not actually an hw. This is an exercise given by my instructor and that's all statement :)

KFC said:
Thanks for reply. This is not actually an hw. This is an exercise given by my instructor and that's all statement :)

then what you have looks good to me.

1. What is the purpose of finding the minimum B to flip a spin-up particle in a magnetic field?

The purpose is to determine the minimum strength of the magnetic field required to flip a spin-up particle, also known as the critical field strength. This can provide insights into the properties of the particle and the strength of the interaction between the particle and the magnetic field.

2. How is the minimum B for flipping a spin-up particle determined?

This can be determined through experiments, where the strength of the magnetic field is gradually increased until the spin-up particle flips. The minimum B is then recorded as the critical field strength.

3. What factors can affect the minimum B for flipping a spin-up particle?

The minimum B can be affected by the properties of the particle, such as its charge and mass, as well as the strength and direction of the magnetic field. Other factors that can influence the minimum B include temperature and external forces acting on the particle.

4. Can the minimum B for flipping a spin-up particle be calculated theoretically?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the minimum B for a specific particle in a given magnetic field using mathematical models and equations. However, experimental results may differ due to various factors that cannot be accounted for in theoretical calculations.

5. How is the concept of minimum B for flipping a spin-up particle used in real-world applications?

The concept of minimum B is used in various fields such as materials science, particle physics, and medical imaging. It can help in understanding the behavior of particles in magnetic fields and developing technologies that utilize magnetic fields, such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.