Spring Energy-a block slides down a frictionless incline plane

In summary, a block of mass m = 13 kg is released from rest on a frictionless incline angled of angle θ = 30°. Below the block is a spring that can be compressed 2.0 cm by a force of 270 N. The block momentarily stops when it compresses the spring by 5.8 cm. Using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, and taking into account the length of the incline and the compression of the spring, the speed of the block when it first touches the spring can be calculated to be 2.53 m/s.
lu6cifer
Spring Energy--a block slides down a frictionless incline plane

A block of mass m = 13 kg is released from rest on a frictionless incline angled of angle θ = 30°. Below the block is a spring that can be compressed 2.0 cm by a force of 270 N. The block momentarily stops when it compresses the spring by 5.8 cm.

What is the speed of the block when if first touches the spring?

Ug = mgh, Us = 1/2kx2, K = 1/2mv2

By K = 1/2kx^2, I know the spring constant. 270 N * 0.02m = 1/2k(0.02)2. So, k = 27,000. I solved for the h in mgh--> 1/2kx^2 = mgh, 1/2(27,000)(0.058)^2 = 13 * 9.81 * h. h = 0.356 m. The equation when it first touches the spring is 1/2mv^2 = mgh. To find this new h value, I used the 30-60-90 triangle. When h was 0.356 m, the length of the relative incline is 2 * 0.356, or 0.712. So, the length of the new incline is 0.712 - the length of compression. So, 0.712 m - 0.058 m = 0.654 m, which is the length of the incline. Using 30-60-90 triangles, the relative vertical height of the incline is 0.654/2 = 0.327 m.
So, if mass cancels, 1/2(v^2) = 9.81 * 0.327. v = 2.53 m/s

But my online homework thing says it's wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org

lu6cifer said:
A block of mass m = 13 kg is released from rest on a frictionless incline angled of angle θ = 30°. Below the block is a spring that can be compressed 2.0 cm by a force of 270 N. The block momentarily stops when it compresses the spring by 5.8 cm.

What is the speed of the block when if first touches the spring?

Ug = mgh, Us = 1/2kx2, K = 1/2mv2

By K = 1/2kx^2, I know the spring constant. 270 N * 0.02m = 1/2k(0.02)2. So, k = 27,000. I solved for the h in mgh--> 1/2kx^2 = mgh, 1/2(27,000)(0.058)^2 = 13 * 9.81 * h. h = 0.356 m. The equation when it first touches the spring is 1/2mv^2 = mgh. To find this new h value, I used the 30-60-90 triangle. When h was 0.356 m, the length of the relative incline is 2 * 0.356, or 0.712. So, the length of the new incline is 0.712 - the length of compression. So, 0.712 m - 0.058 m = 0.654 m, which is the length of the incline. Using 30-60-90 triangles, the relative vertical height of the incline is 0.654/2 = 0.327 m.
So, if mass cancels, 1/2(v^2) = 9.81 * 0.327. v = 2.53 m/s

But my online homework thing says it's wrong??

If I read the question correctly, the spring is oriented along the incline. If this is the case, think about what the final length of the spring will be when the system is at equilibrium.

Also, I'm not sure that the equation Ug = mgh is necessarily relevant here, as the height from which the block is released is not part of the question. If you look at the kinetic energy of the block when it first contacts the spring and the potential energy of the spring when it is compressed to its maximum amount, you should have all the information needed to determine the velocity of the block.

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure that all units are consistent. It is also possible that there may be a mistake in the given values or in the setup of the problem. You may want to consult with a colleague or your instructor to see if they have any insights or if they can help you troubleshoot the issue. It is important to carefully review and analyze the problem to ensure that you arrive at the correct solution.

1. What is spring energy?

Spring energy is the potential energy stored in a compressed or stretched spring. It is a form of elastic potential energy that can be released when the spring returns to its original shape.

2. How does a block sliding down a frictionless incline plane relate to spring energy?

As the block slides down the incline, it gains kinetic energy. This kinetic energy is converted into potential energy as the spring is compressed. When the block reaches the bottom of the incline, the spring is released, and the potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy, causing the block to move.

3. Is the incline plane being frictionless important for spring energy?

Yes, the incline plane being frictionless is important because it ensures that all the energy is conserved. If there was friction, some of the energy would be converted into heat and lost, leading to a decrease in the overall energy of the system.

4. What factors affect the amount of spring energy in this scenario?

The amount of spring energy is affected by the mass of the block, the height of the incline, and the stiffness of the spring. A heavier block, a higher incline, and a stiffer spring will result in more spring energy being stored.

5. Can the concept of spring energy be applied to other scenarios?

Yes, the concept of spring energy can be applied to other scenarios involving springs, such as a compressed spring in a toy car or a stretched spring in a catapult. It can also be applied in the field of engineering, such as in the design of shock absorbers or suspension systems.