How Does Tension Work in a Pulley System?

• Thread starter bfr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tension and how it works in a specific scenario involving two blocks connected by a rope. The general method for solving these types of problems is mentioned and an equation is provided for calculating tension. It is also noted that there is a net upward force on the lighter block and a net downward force on the heavier block. The conversation ends with a prompt for finding the magnitude of acceleration for extra credit.
bfr
[SOLVED] Tension Question(s)

I'm kind of confused about how tension works.

For example,

If I had two blocks that massed 5kg hanging on either side of a frictionless pulley, what would be the tension of the rope connecting them? If one of the blocks massed 2kg and the other were 5kg, what would be the tension?

(I'm not asking for you all to do all of the calculations for these two examples - I'm just wondering what the general method for solving these types of problems is and how tension works)

EDIT: Nevermind. With some searching, I found that T= (2*m1*m2)/(m1+m2)*9.8

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

bfr said:
If one of the blocks massed 2kg and the other were 5kg, what would be the tension?

Keep in mind that, while the equation will give you an answer to this question, there is a net upward force on the 2kg block and a net downward force on the 5kg block. This is because the calculated tension on the rope acts upward on both blocks, but it pulls harder on the 2kg block than gravity does and it pulls less hard on the 5kg block than gravity does, so the whole system moves.

The acceleration of the blocks are opposite in direction and equal in magnitude.

Hey, for extra credit, find the magnitude of the acceleration.

Hello! I can provide some insight into the concept of tension and how it applies to this scenario. Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting on either end. In your example, the tension in the rope is the force that is holding the two blocks up and preventing them from falling.

To solve for the tension in this scenario, we can use the equation T= (2*m1*m2)/(m1+m2)*9.8, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two blocks, and 9.8 is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation takes into account the masses of both blocks and the gravitational force acting on them.

In the first example, where both blocks have a mass of 5kg, the tension in the rope would be equal to 5kg*5kg*9.8/10kg = 24.5N. In the second example, where one block has a mass of 2kg and the other has a mass of 5kg, the tension in the rope would be equal to 2kg*5kg*9.8/7kg = 14N.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of tension and how it applies to your scenario. It's always important to consider the forces acting on an object and how they contribute to the overall tension in a system. Keep up the curiosity and keep exploring the world of science!

1. What is tension and how is it defined?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N) and is defined as the force applied per unit area of an object.

2. What are some common examples of tension?

Some common examples of tension include pulling on a rope, stretching a rubber band, or holding a weight on a string. Tension can also be found in structures such as bridges and cables.

3. How is tension different from compression?

Tension and compression are both types of forces that act on objects, but they have opposite effects. Tension causes objects to stretch or elongate, while compression causes objects to compress or shorten.

4. What factors affect the amount of tension in an object?

The amount of tension in an object can be affected by factors such as the amount of force applied, the material properties of the object, and the length and thickness of the object.

5. How is tension measured and calculated?

Tension can be measured using a variety of instruments such as a spring scale or a force meter. It can also be calculated using the formula T = F/A, where T is tension, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.