Acetylsalicylic acid in ferric chloride test

• Thread starter Fairway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Test
In summary, the conversation discussed the results of a reaction between salicylic acid and acetic anhydride, where the use of a water bath at 90°C instead of 50°C resulted in a negative ferric chloride test but a lower melting point of the final product (acetylsalicylic acid). The cause of the lower melting point was attributed to impurities, likely caused by the higher temperature affecting the equilibrium distribution. The presence of phenols (salicylate) was also discussed as a potential impurity.
Fairway

Homework Statement

In the reaction between salicylic acid and acetic anhydride, if you use a water bath at 90°C instead of 50°C. The final product (acetylsalicylic acid) was tested for the presence of phenols with ferric chloride. This test was negative (no color observed); however, the melting point of the dry product was 122-125°C.

Homework Equations

What are the reasons for these results?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure for the analytical reasons, but here what I thought. The product came out purity because it has no color on the test with ferric chloride. But the meltng point was lower than the tabulated melting point which is 135-136°C for pure Aspirin. It could be in result of high temperature of water bath, so the high temperature passed the right eqilibrium. Am I right? Please, if anyone knows the better answer, could you explain to me? I really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have no 'phenol' (salicylate in this case) in the final product as evidenced by the negative ferric chloride test. The higher temperature of the reaction might affect the rate of reaction but does it affect the equilibrium distribution?

You also correctly identify the cause of the lower MP being related to purity and therefore your product isn't pure. How might cooking the reagents at a higher temperature affect purity? What impurity is likely to be present?

Chemisttree, Thank you so much!
I agree with you it is impure due to the lower melting point. I was confuse with equlibrium. It was so helpful!

1. What is the purpose of the Acetylsalicylic acid in Ferric Chloride test?

The Acetylsalicylic acid in Ferric Chloride test is used to detect the presence of salicylic acid in a substance. It is commonly used in the pharmaceutical industry to determine the purity of aspirin, which is a form of acetylsalicylic acid.

2. How does the Acetylsalicylic acid in Ferric Chloride test work?

The test works by adding a few drops of Ferric Chloride solution to a sample containing acetylsalicylic acid. If salicylic acid is present, a purple color will appear, indicating a positive result. This is due to the formation of a complex between the iron ions in Ferric Chloride and the phenol group in salicylic acid.

3. What are the limitations of the Acetylsalicylic acid in Ferric Chloride test?

The test only detects the presence of salicylic acid and does not differentiate between different forms of the compound. It also does not provide information about the quantity of salicylic acid present. Additionally, other substances may interfere with the test and give false positive results.

4. How accurate is the Acetylsalicylic acid in Ferric Chloride test?

The test is generally considered to be accurate, especially when performed by trained professionals. However, it is important to note that the test is qualitative and may not provide precise quantitative data about the amount of salicylic acid present in a sample.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when performing the Acetylsalicylic acid in Ferric Chloride test?

Ferric Chloride is a corrosive substance and should be handled with care. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when conducting the test. The test should also be performed in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.