Reducing microbacterial contamination in jet fuels

• Thread starter djeitnstine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jet
In order to prevent this problem, it is important to understand its main cause, which is water in the fuel sump. There are some articles available online, specifically in the International Biodegradation Biodeterioration journal and the old J. Indust Microbiol, that discuss this issue and offer solutions. Some additional resources on water contamination can also be found by messaging the speaker. In summary, micro bacterial contamination in jet fuels can be prevented by addressing water as the main element and utilizing available online resources.
djeitnstine
Gold Member
Hey I'm not sure if this should be here or to the AE guys or both. But I just need to find out a little more on micro bacterial contamination and ways to prevent it in jet fuels. Any of you know about it or have and sources on it?

Biology news on Phys.org
There are a few articles you can get online (at least as abstract) at the Internation Biodegradation Biodeterioration journal.. I recall a few also being in the old J. Indust Micobriol

The central element is water - in the fuel sump.

djeit, I have found a few resources you might like concerning water contamination. Pm me.

Fragment

1. What is the main cause of microbacterial contamination in jet fuels?

The main cause of microbacterial contamination in jet fuels is the presence of water and nutrients, which can support the growth of microorganisms.

2. How does microbacterial contamination affect jet fuel?

Microbacterial contamination in jet fuel can lead to the formation of biofilms, which can clog filters and damage fuel system components. It can also cause corrosion and reduce fuel efficiency.

3. What methods are used to reduce microbacterial contamination in jet fuels?

The most common methods used to reduce microbacterial contamination in jet fuels include filtration, biocides, and water removal techniques. Additionally, proper storage and handling procedures can also help prevent contamination.

4. Are there any regulations in place to address microbacterial contamination in jet fuels?

Yes, there are regulations set by organizations such as the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) that require airlines and fuel providers to regularly monitor and control microbacterial contamination in jet fuels.

5. What are the potential health risks associated with using jet fuel contaminated with microbacteria?

There are potential health risks for both passengers and crew if jet fuel contaminated with microbacteria is used. These include skin and respiratory infections, as well as potential damage to the respiratory and nervous systems.