Changing the order of integration

• Thread starter a1010711
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the original double integral can be visualized as the lower right-hand quarter of a circle with center at (0, a) and radius a. To change the order of integration, the y values will range from the lower part of the circle to the line y = a, while the x values will range from 0 to the right hand edge of the circle.
a1010711

Homework Statement

Change the order of integration in the following double integral

integral from o to a, integral from 0 to sqrt(2ay-y^2) f(x y) dx dy

so i can see its a semi circle with center at (0,a)
x= sqrt(2ay-y^2) can be expanded by squaring both sides. then completing the square x^2+(y-a)^2=a^2 which is a cirle of radius 'a', center at (x,0)

then I am not sure what to do.. how do i integrate with respect to y first,,then x? how do i set this up

Physics news on Phys.org
The center of the circle is at (0, a), not (x, 0).
In the original iterated integral, x ranges from 0 to sqrt(2ay - y^2), or from the y-axis to the right half of the circle. y ranges from 0 to a, so the region of integration is the lower right-hand quarter of this circle.

When you change the order of integration, the y values will need to range from the lower part of the circle up to the line y = a, and the x values will need to range from the line x = 0 to the right hand edge of the circle.

1. What is the purpose of changing the order of integration?

The purpose of changing the order of integration is to simplify the integration process and make it easier to solve complex integrals. By rearranging the order of integration, we can often convert a double or triple integral into a simpler form that is easier to evaluate.

2. When should I consider changing the order of integration?

You should consider changing the order of integration when the original integral is difficult to solve or when the region of integration is better described by switching the order of integration. This is especially useful when dealing with non-rectangular regions or when the integrand involves multiple variables.

3. How do I change the order of integration for a double integral?

To change the order of integration for a double integral, we need to switch the order of the variables of integration and the limits of integration. This involves rewriting the integral in terms of the other variable and changing the limits of integration to reflect the new order.

4. What is the process for changing the order of integration for a triple integral?

Changing the order of integration for a triple integral involves converting the integral into an iterated integral with different orders of integration. This is done by evaluating the integral in a specific order, typically from the inside out, and then rearranging the order of the variables and limits of integration.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when changing the order of integration?

Yes, there are certain limitations and restrictions when changing the order of integration. For example, the region of integration must remain the same, and the integrand must remain continuous over the region. Additionally, the integral may not converge if the order of integration is changed, in which case the original order should be used instead.