Sliding hammer leaves the roof

• Thread starter seraphimhouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sliding
In summary, a student is seeking help with a physics problem involving a hammer sliding down an inclined roof. They are unsure of how to approach the problem and are stuck on finding the initial velocity of the hammer. Through the conversation, it is determined that only the component of gravity along the incline needs to be considered and the student is able to successfully solve the problem.
seraphimhouse
Good morning, first post and more than excited that I can get possible help for physics. Only problem I think I have is translating physics problems into soluble questions.

Homework Statement

A hammer slides 2.5 m down a smooth roof which has an incline of 15 degrees.

At the instant the hammer leaves the roof, find the magnitude Vo and direction of the angle of its velocity.

x = 2.5 m
angle = 15 degrees

Homework Equations

X = Xo + Vot + 1/2at^2
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X-Xo)
X = Xo + 1/2(V+Vo)t

The Attempt at a Solution

Having two unknowns is leaving me at a halt. Is final velocity [at the instant leaving the roof] 0 m/s? The last equation [X = Xo + 1/2(V+Vo)t] would have V = 0 m/s and Vo = 0 m/s making the entire equation unsolvable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You only need to determine your Vo. It is accelerated over the distance of the roof by what part of gravity? (You have the angle so figure the component of gravity that accelerated it.)

Doesn't look like you need your kinematic equations.

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

You only need to determine your Vo. It is accelerated over the distance of the roof by what part of gravity? (You have the angle so figure the component of gravity that accelerated it.)

Doesn't look like you need your kinematic equations.

I used the equation

V^2 = Vo^2 +2a(X-Xo)

and through algebra got

Vo = square root of 2g(X-Xo)

my question is should we reconstruct the the equation to be Vo = 2gcos15(X-Xo) in respect to the incline?

Editnm i got it! Thanks alot! =]]]

Last edited:

1. What is a sliding hammer?

A sliding hammer is a tool used for pulling or removing objects such as nails, screws, or dents. It consists of a heavy metal hammer head attached to a long handle with a sliding weight that can be moved up and down the handle to create a pulling force.

2. How does a sliding hammer leave a roof?

A sliding hammer can leave a roof when it is used to remove roofing nails. The hammer head is placed over the nail and the sliding weight is pulled down, creating a pulling force that removes the nail from the roof.

3. Is a sliding hammer safe to use on a roof?

Yes, a sliding hammer is generally safe to use on a roof as long as proper safety precautions are taken. It is important to use the tool correctly and to wear appropriate safety gear such as gloves and eye protection.

4. Can a sliding hammer be used for other purposes besides removing nails from a roof?

Yes, a sliding hammer can be used for a variety of purposes including pulling dents from a car, removing stubborn screws, and even as a makeshift hammer for driving nails.

5. Are there different types of sliding hammers available?

Yes, there are different types of sliding hammers available, including manual and pneumatic versions. Manual sliding hammers are operated by hand, while pneumatic sliding hammers use compressed air to create a pulling force.