Integrating Hard Integral 2: Can Someone Give Me a Hint?

In summary, a hard integral is a difficult mathematical expression that cannot be easily solved using standard integration techniques. There are several indicators of a hard integral, including complex functions, multiple variables, and unconventional limits. The purpose of integrating hard integrals is to solve complex problems and find the area or volume of irregular shapes. Some tips for solving hard integrals include using substitution, integration by parts, and breaking the integral into smaller parts. One hint for integrating a hard integral is to look for patterns or similarities in the expression and to use different techniques such as change of variables.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

[tex]
\int_0^1 \frac{x^4(1-x)^4}{1+x^2}\ dx
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A gonio substitution gets nasty really fast moreover the differentiation under the integral sign trick doesn't seem to give more insight (at least that's what I think). Integration by parts gets a ln(.) times something nasty. The boundaries suggest a series expansion or a smart substitution...

Can someone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
divide the two polinomials
and youll get an easier integral

1. What is a hard integral?

A hard integral is a mathematical expression that is difficult to solve using standard integration techniques. It often involves complex functions, multiple variables, or unconventional limits.

2. How do I know if an integral is hard?

An integral can be considered hard if it cannot be easily evaluated using basic integration rules, such as the power rule, substitution, or integration by parts. It may also be indicated by the complexity of the integrand or the limits of integration.

3. What is the purpose of integrating hard integrals?

The purpose of integrating hard integrals is to solve complex mathematical problems and to find the area under a curve or the volume of a solid with irregular boundaries. It is also used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model real-world phenomena and make predictions.

4. What are some tips for solving hard integrals?

Some tips for solving hard integrals include using substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to break the integral into smaller, simpler parts and to use computer software or online tools for numerical integration.

5. Can someone give me a hint for integrating a hard integral?

One hint for integrating a hard integral is to look for patterns or similarities in the integrand, such as trigonometric identities or common factors that can be factored out. It may also be helpful to rewrite the integral in a different form or to use a change of variables to simplify the expression.