When were the boats closest to each other?

• Thread starter zapped
  • Start date
In summary, two boats leave a dock, one heading west at 25km/h and the other heading north at 20km/h. They both reach the same dock at 1:00 pm. The question is when were the boats closest to each other. The attempt to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance between the boats was made, but it was not clear how to substitute the values. It was assumed that the second boat also left at noon, but this assumption was incorrect. Further assistance is needed to find the correct solution.
zapped

Homework Statement

A boat leave a dock at noon and heads weat at a speed 25km/h. Another boat heads north at 20km/h and reaches the same dock at 1:00 pm. when were the boats closest to each other?

Homework Equations

when were the boats closest to each other?

The Attempt at a Solution

I use the pythagorean for the distance
but I'm not sure about how to sub them in?
I tried to assume that the second boat also leaves at noon, so the total distance will be 20km. But that's wrong. Please help, thanks =P

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I think you have to find the rate of change of the hypotenuse.

Hi zapped! :smile:
zapped said:
A boat leave a dock at noon and heads weat at a speed 25km/h. Another boat heads north at 20km/h and reaches the same dock at 1:00 pm. when were the boats closest to each other?

I use the pythagorean for the distance
but I'm not sure about how to sub them in?
I tried to assume that the second boat also leaves at noon, so the total distance will be 20km. But that's wrong.

No, that assumption is fine (not necessary, but fine).

Anyway, minimising the pythagorean, which is what you tried to do, should have worked …

show us what you got for the pythagorean :smile:

1. What is the significance of knowing when the boats were closest to each other?

The distance between two boats at a certain point in time can provide valuable information for navigation, collision avoidance, and other safety measures.

2. How is the distance between the boats measured?

The distance between the boats can be measured using various tools such as radar, GPS, or visually by estimating the distance between the boats.

3. Can the distance between the boats change over time?

Yes, the distance between the boats can change over time due to factors such as the speed and direction of the boats, external forces such as wind and currents, and navigation adjustments made by the boat operators.

4. Are there any regulations or guidelines for maintaining a safe distance between boats?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by maritime authorities that dictate the minimum safe distance between boats, especially in crowded or high-risk areas.

5. How can knowing when the boats were closest to each other be beneficial for research purposes?

Knowing the exact time and distance between two boats can be useful for studying boat traffic patterns, analyzing the impact of boat collisions, and understanding the behavior of boats in different situations.