A tricky 2nd ODE nonhomo delta=0 help needed

• Thread starter whatababy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation is about solving an initial value problem and the attempt to find the solution by first solving the corresponding homogeneous equation and then finding the particular solution. The individual has attempted to solve for the particular solution but is unsure if their method is correct. Another individual suggests trying a different approach.
whatababy

Homework Statement

solve the initial value problem:
y''+8.4y'+17.64y=e-4.2x
y(0)=1, y'(0)=1

y(x)=?

Homework Equations

y=yc+yp

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I tried to achieve is to solve the corresponding homo equation first:
y''+8.4y'+17.64y=0, which gives yc;
yc=c1e-4.2x+c2e-4.2xx

Then try to find yp, generally I would assume a yp=Ae-4.2x, but from the yc got above, clearly yp=Ae-4.2x or yp=Ae-4.2xx is not good. If I add one more 'x' in yp assumption,in which it seems A has to be 0, which is not right either...

Any idea? Or I made some mistake?

Meric.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the work you show is correct, yp = Ax2e-4.2x is the right choice. Plug it into your DE and solve for A.

1. What is a 2nd Order Differential Equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is commonly used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and population growth.

2. What does "nonhomo delta=0" mean in the context of a 2nd order differential equation?

In this context, "nonhomo delta=0" means that the equation does not have a non-homogeneous term and the coefficient of the second derivative is equal to zero. This type of equation is known as a homogeneous linear differential equation.

3. Why is solving a 2nd order nonhomo delta=0 differential equation tricky?

Solving a 2nd order nonhomo delta=0 differential equation can be tricky because it requires advanced mathematical techniques and involves finding a particular solution and a general solution. It also requires careful handling of initial conditions and boundary conditions.

4. What is the importance of solving a 2nd order nonhomo delta=0 differential equation?

Solving a 2nd order nonhomo delta=0 differential equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems and phenomena. It is also used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and analyze real-world problems.

5. How can I get help with solving a tricky 2nd order nonhomo delta=0 differential equation?

If you are struggling with solving a tricky 2nd order nonhomo delta=0 differential equation, you can seek help from a math tutor, your professor, or online resources. It is also important to practice and review fundamental concepts of calculus and differential equations to better understand and solve these types of equations.