Quantum Mechanical Transistors

In summary, the conversation discusses quantum mechanical transistors and the speaker's interest in learning more about them. They mention a Google search for information on these transistors and ask for any other links or information. A graduate student in electrical engineering explains how these transistors work, mentioning quantum dots and single electron transistors. The conversation then shifts to a specific type of quantum transistor, the DELTT, and the speaker requests more technical information on it.
BLUE_CHIP
I was wondering if anybody had any information on Quantum Mechanical Transistors.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The first time that I checked this thread which was a very very very long time ago, i didnt notice that wimms had posted a google search.

Please can someone give me another link or more information, and not another seach engine with 'Quantum Mechanical Transistors' typed in the search bar..... :smile:

Since ALL transistors are Quantum Mechanical it is not not clear, to me, just what you are looking for.

You're talking about quantum dots (or single electron transistors). I'm a graduate student in electrical engineering and this is my field; so, you're in luck.

Basically, they work as follows. You've got a small quantum well which confines electrons in all three dimensions... they have zero degrees of freedom. The wavefunctions of the electrons take on modes in these quantum wells. By changing the energy level in the well, you can change the occupancy of the states in the well. Changing the energy level in the well simply involves applying a voltage to a gate that is capacitively coupled to this system. If the gate is properly coupled to the system, then the transport properties of the system will be extremely to even the slightest change in voltage on the gate. In fact these systems can be made so as to detect a single electron.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

QuantumCowboy

This is superb :biggrin:

This is the product which I was originally referring to is:

I know its a very old news release however I was just wondering if there was any tech info on the quantum mechs of it.

If u had any diagrams or text that you could point me to I would be very greatfull. :smile:

Ta, QuantumCowboy :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a quantum mechanical transistor?

A quantum mechanical transistor is a type of transistor that operates based on the principles of quantum mechanics. It uses quantum tunneling effects to control the flow of electrons and amplify signals, making it a more efficient and smaller alternative to traditional transistors.

2. How does a quantum mechanical transistor differ from a traditional transistor?

A traditional transistor operates based on the movement of electrons through a semiconductor material, while a quantum mechanical transistor uses quantum tunneling effects to control the flow of electrons through a barrier. This allows for faster and more precise control of the flow of current.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum mechanical transistors?

Quantum mechanical transistors have the potential to revolutionize the field of electronics by enabling faster and more efficient computers, communication systems, and other electronic devices. They could also be used in quantum computing and other advanced technologies.

4. Are quantum mechanical transistors currently being used in any commercial products?

At this time, quantum mechanical transistors are still in the research and development phase and are not yet being used in commercial products. However, there have been successful demonstrations of their functionality in laboratory settings.

5. What are the challenges in developing and implementing quantum mechanical transistors?

One of the main challenges in developing quantum mechanical transistors is controlling and manipulating the quantum effects that govern their operation. Additionally, finding suitable materials and manufacturing techniques for these transistors presents a significant challenge. Implementing them in practical devices also requires overcoming technical and engineering hurdles.