Laplace help on a DC transient RC circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a DC transient RC circuit with specific values for the resistors and capacitor. The formula for calculating the voltage through the capacitor is discussed, along with the need for a Laplace transform for exponential growth. The person asking for help has spent a week on the problem and is looking for assistance or guidance on where they may have gone wrong. They are also encouraged to use Latex to make their work clearer before posting a reply.
willow16v
Laplace help on a DC transient RC circuit ? PLEASE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I HAVE A RC CIRCUIT WHERE R1=100Kohm and R2=1Mohm and C=2.1micro farads with a Vin =10V,

In order to calculate the voltage through the capacitor I deduce the following formula,

Vc(s)=V/S {(((R2×1/Cs)/(R2+1/Cs)))/(((R2×1/Cs)/(R2+1/Cs)+R1) )}

I then need to produce a laplace transform of exponential growth thus, I believe to be

Vc(s)=a/s(s+a)

However I have spent a week on this now and cannot get a soloution. I would be grateful of any help or any point to know where I am going wrong. I have pages and pages of transposition but they all lead to every answer but the one I require. Many thanks

Please see attachement

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you show the differential equation you arrived at.

Try using Latex to make your work clearer. Before you post reply, click "Go advanced" and then click the [tex]\Sigma[/tex] in the top right of the panel above the text.

1. What is a DC transient RC circuit?

A DC transient RC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series, and is powered by a direct current (DC) source. It is used to study the behavior of the circuit in response to a sudden change in the input voltage or current.

2. How does Laplace transform help in analyzing a DC transient RC circuit?

Laplace transform is a mathematical tool that is used to convert a time-domain function into a complex frequency-domain function. In the context of a DC transient RC circuit, Laplace transform can be used to simplify the analysis of the circuit by converting the differential equations involved into algebraic equations.

3. What is the time constant of a DC transient RC circuit?

The time constant of a DC transient RC circuit is a measure of the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges in response to a change in the input voltage or current. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) with the capacitance (C) of the circuit, i.e. τ = RC.

4. How does the value of the time constant affect the behavior of a DC transient RC circuit?

The value of the time constant determines the speed at which the capacitor charges or discharges in response to a change in the input voltage or current. A larger time constant means a slower change in voltage or current, while a smaller time constant means a faster change. This affects the overall behavior and response time of the circuit.

5. What are some real-life applications of a DC transient RC circuit?

A DC transient RC circuit has various applications in electronics, such as in signal processing, filtering, and time-delay circuits. It is also used in power supplies, audio systems, and communication systems. Additionally, it can be used in sensors and transducers for measuring and monitoring physical quantities.