Volume of intersection of spheres

In summary, the task is to find the volume of the intersection of two spheres of radius 2, given that the center of each sphere lies on the surface of the other. The attempt at a solution involved using volumes of revolution and the washer method. The range of x used is from x=0 to x=1. The resulting volume is not 8/3 * pi, and further clarification is needed.
icosane

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the intersection of two spheres of radius 2, give that the center of each sphere lies on the surface of the other.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to do this problem with volumes of revolution. I drew two circles, one with a center at -1, the other with a center at 1. I found the point of intersection on the y-axis to be + and - root3. I was going to use the washer method, rotating the line y = (4-(x+1)^2)^(1/2) over the x-axis but I can't integrate that expression. I'm also unsure if that would even give the correct answer. Any tips on how to approach the problem? This is for a calc 2 class btw, so it shouldn't be especially difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
icosane said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the intersection of two spheres of radius 2, give that the center of each sphere lies on the surface of the other.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to do this problem with volumes of revolution. I drew two circles, one with a center at -1, the other with a center at 1. I found the point of intersection on the y-axis to be + and - root3. I was going to use the washer method, rotating the line y = (4-(x+1)^2)^(1/2) over the x-axis but I can't integrate that expression. I'm also unsure if that would even give the correct answer. Any tips on how to approach the problem? This is for a calc 2 class btw, so it shouldn't be especially difficult.

Woops just realized that I would be taking the integral of y^2 so that square root sign doesn't mess up my ability to integrate. Still though, will I get the correct answer if I find that volume and multiply it by two? My concern is that I'm overlooking something about the geometry of the intersection. Like it seems like the volume would be a sum of the area of ellipses, not circles. Yet I don't know how I would end up with an elliptical equation from two intersecting spheres? Help please.

What range of x are you using when integrating using washers under the curve y=(4-(x+1)^2)^(1/2)? If you've got the right range, yes then you can just double that volume. The cross-sections of your volume perpendicular to the x-axis are circles, not ellipses. I don't think you are missing anything.

Dick said:
What range of x are you using when integrating using washers under the curve y=(4-(x+1)^2)^(1/2)? If you've got the right range, yes then you can just double that volume. The cross-sections of your volume perpendicular to the x-axis are circles, not ellipses. I don't think you are missing anything.

The range I used is just x = 1 to 0...

I used x=0 to x=1, but yes, that seems fine.

Did anyone try this and get 8/3 * pi ??

icosane said:
Did anyone try this and get 8/3 * pi ??

That's not what I get. Can you show how you got that?

What is the formula for finding the volume of intersection of two spheres?

The formula for finding the volume of intersection of two spheres is V = (πh^2/6)(3a - h), where h is the height of the intersection and a is the radius of the spheres.

What is the significance of finding the volume of intersection of spheres?

Finding the volume of intersection of spheres is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as calculating the capacity of storage tanks, determining the overlap of atomic orbitals in chemistry, and designing efficient packing of spheres in physics.

How do you calculate the height of the intersection between two spheres?

The height of the intersection between two spheres can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where h = a - √(a^2 - d^2), where a is the radius of the spheres and d is the distance between their centers.

Can the volume of intersection of spheres be negative?

No, the volume of intersection of spheres cannot be negative as it represents a physical space and cannot have a negative value.

Is there a way to simplify the calculation of the volume of intersection of spheres?

Yes, there are multiple ways to simplify the calculation of the volume of intersection of spheres, such as using geometric relationships or using the Law of Cosines. Additionally, there are online calculators and software programs available to help with the calculations.