Spectrophotometry of an indicator

• Thread starter pyridine
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, that's what I wanted to do. Thanks!In summary, you would need to measure the absorbance of a purely acid sample and a purely base sample at two different wavelengths to determine the concentration of the alkaline form. Then you would use Beer's law to calculate the concentration of the absorbing form and use the Henderson Hasselbalch equation to find the pH.
pyridine

Homework Statement

OK, so if your indicator has 2 clearly different wavelengths of absorption for acidic and basic forms, you can measure the absorbance of buffered samples at a wavelength which only absorbs, for instance, the acidic form. Then you can use beer's law to find the concentration of the absorbing form A=elc (e=molar absorptivity, l= path length (1cm) and c=concentration of the thing which is absorbing). Then you can find by difference the concentration of the non absorbing form and then the pKa with the Henderson Hasselbalch equation.

BUT!

I want to know, how you find the concentration of the absorbing and non absorbing forms if there isn't a wavelength which only one absorbs. How would you figure out the ratio of acid/base?

Homework Equations

Beer's Law: A=elc

Henderson Hasselbalch equation: pKa = pH+ log(acid/base)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Beer's Law would then be A(total)=A(base)+A(acid), and hence A(total)= ebc(base) +ebc(acid) but that's as far as i know.

Someone please help! I'm so close and this lab report has taken me nearly 2 weeks to do :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You want separate scans of wavelengths for the acid form and for the alkaline form of this indicator. Look for nonoverlapping wavelengths, significantly separated, in which both forms of the indicator absorb. When you measure your sample solution, you must use the two separate wavelengths. This way, you can have two equations; one for one wavelength for the acid form, and the other for the wavelength for the alkaline form. See your sample may be expected to have the two, differently colored forms of the indicator present, the concentration of each being unknown; but you then have two equations - each based on the absorbance at different wavelengths. I am not sure if I misunderstood your question, but I say that you want two different wavelengths which are not close to each other, and that one wavelength absorbs significantly the acidic form and the other wavelength is absorbed significantly by the alkaline form.

Would it help if you will know sum of concentrations of both forms?

--

Symbolipoint: Even if you scan an acid wavelength and a basic wavelength like you said, if the wavelengths overlap, all of the absorption wouldn't be related to a single form. Do you think that'd matter?

Borek: You'd know the sum of the concentrations of both, it's just the total concentration of your sample.

Awright...
I've inched further forward. I know the total concentration and the total absorbance. The total absorbance is made up of x concentration of base and y concentration of acid. What would be a way to work out the ratio of acid/base, if you know the absorbance of a purely acid sample as well as a purely base sample at the same wavelength?

I find the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isosbestic_point" to me most useful for these problems. You will need the molar absorptivity at the isosbestic wavelength for it to be useful. After that you can calculate the ratio of both the protonated and deprotonated species (in the case of an acid/base indicator).

Last edited by a moderator:
pyridine said:
I know the total concentration and the total absorbance.

Doesn't it give you two equations in two unknowns?

--

I still believe that the member named 'pyridine' needs two different wavelengths. Borek, what am I missing?

I have already proved today (in other life) that I am an idiot, so I don't trust myself too seriously, but

[HA] + [A-] = Ctotal

kHA[HA] + kA[A-] = Atotal

If kHA<>kA there are two independent equations in two unknowns. Note that the second equation is for one measurement, at one wavelength.

--

2 equations, 2 unknowns..of course. Thanks!

If you adjust the pH to the isosbestic pH and then choose the wavelength for this isosbestic point, you could then directly measure the total concentration of the indicator compound. This would require an isosbestic point to exist for this compound. Pyridine and Borek, is that what you wanted to do?

I suppose total concentration was already given.

--

What is spectrophotometry of an indicator?

Spectrophotometry of an indicator is a technique used to measure the concentration of a substance in a solution by measuring the absorbance or transmission of light through the solution. It is commonly used in chemistry and biochemistry to analyze the amount of a particular substance present in a sample.

How does spectrophotometry of an indicator work?

Spectrophotometry of an indicator works by passing light of a specific wavelength through a solution containing the indicator. The indicator will absorb certain wavelengths of light, causing a decrease in the amount of light that passes through the solution. This decrease in light intensity is measured and used to calculate the concentration of the substance in the solution.

What is an indicator in spectrophotometry?

An indicator in spectrophotometry is a substance that changes color or absorbs light when it is in the presence of a specific substance. This change in color or absorbance can be used to determine the concentration of the substance in a solution.

What are some common indicators used in spectrophotometry?

Some common indicators used in spectrophotometry include phenolphthalein, bromocresol green, and methyl orange. These indicators have specific absorption spectra and are used to detect the presence of various substances in a solution.

What are the advantages of using spectrophotometry of an indicator?

One of the main advantages of using spectrophotometry of an indicator is its high sensitivity and precision. It can accurately measure very small concentrations of substances in a solution, making it a valuable tool in scientific research. Additionally, it is a non-destructive method, meaning the sample can be reused for further analysis.