How to know here on what variable its a derivative of(diff)

In summary: So, naturally, you would get z' = \frac{dz}{dy}.In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using substitution and the use of Bernoulli's formula. The individual provides a step-by-step explanation of the process and also clarifies why the book interprets z'=\frac{dz}{dy}.
proto
[tex](2x^2ylny-x)y'=y[/tex]
[tex](2x^2ylny-x)dy=ydx[/tex]
then i divide both sides by dy
[tex](2x^2ylny-x)=yx'[/tex]
then i divide both sides by y
[tex](2x^2lny-\frac{x}{y})=x'[/tex]
[tex]x'+\frac{x}{y}=2x^2lny[/tex]
so i have here a bernuly foruma
i divide both sides by [tex]x^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x'}{x^2}+\frac{1}{xy}=2lny[/tex]
[tex]z=x^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]z'=-1x^{-2}x'[/tex]
[tex]-z'+\frac{z}{y}=2ln y[/tex]

z is defined to be a function of x
so [tex]z'=\frac{dz}{dx}[/tex]
why the book interprets [tex]z'=\frac{dz}{dy}[/tex]
??

z is linked to y not in a direct way .
but z linked to x in a direct way
z and x are more close to each other.

i can't see a mathematical way of figuring it out
its all intuition.and i my intuition is very bad

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{dz}{dx} = -\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]
[tex]dz = -\frac{1}{x^2} dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dz}{dy} = -\frac{1}{x^2} \frac{dx}{dy}[/tex]

z=x'
z'=-x^(-2)x'

i can't undestand how you cameup with the first step
[tex]
\frac{dz}{dx} = -\frac{1}{x^2}
[/tex]

i can't understand what are you doing here?

and your conclution
doesn't show that z is a derivative by y
it shows that z' is a derivative by x

What I was doing up there was proving mathematically that [tex]\frac{x'}{x^2}[/tex] necessary equals [tex]-\frac{dz}{dy}[/tex]. The 1st step was obtained from your substitution variable [tex]z = x^{-1}[/tex].

On a more intuitive basis, what are you attempting to do when performing the substitution? It's to simplify the DE via substituting x with a new variable z, and thus why would there be a dx lying around after you have completed your substitution? If [tex]z' = \frac{dz}{dx}[/tex], then how are you going to solve [tex]-z'+\frac{z}{y}=2ln y[/tex]? You now have what, three variables?

proto said:
z is defined to be a function of x
so [tex]z'=\frac{dz}{dx}[/tex]
why the book interprets [tex]z'=\frac{dz}{dy}[/tex]

Because you defined it that way, right here:
proto said:
[tex]z=x^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]z'=-1x^{-2}x'[/tex]

In the first line you defined z to be a function of x. In the second, you defined z' to be in a derivative of the same variable as used for x' -- which was y.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It is often used to describe how a function changes over time or distance.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, which include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function based on its algebraic form.

3. What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

A derivative represents the rate of change of a function, while an integral represents the accumulation of a function over a certain interval. In other words, a derivative tells you how fast a function is changing, while an integral tells you how much of the function has accumulated over a period of time or distance.

4. How can derivatives be applied in real life?

Derivatives have many applications in real life, such as calculating the speed and acceleration of objects, determining the maximum and minimum values of a function, and predicting future values based on past data. They are also used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and analyze various phenomena.

5. Can you find the derivative of any function?

In most cases, yes, you can find the derivative of any function using the rules of differentiation. However, there are some functions that are not differentiable, such as those with sharp corners or discontinuities. In these cases, the derivative does not exist.