Topology: Indiscrete/Discrete Topology

• Thread starter jeff1evesque
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, The two given examples define topologies for a set X in a set-theoretic approach. The indiscrete topology contains only the empty set and X, while the discrete topology contains all subsets of X. These definitions may not provide immediate insight into the topologies, but are rigorous.
jeff1evesque
I am reading from my text, and was just wondering if someone could provide additional information on the following examples.

0.1 Examples. For any set X each of the following defines a topology for X.

(1) [tex]T_{*} = {A \subseteq X|a \in A \Rightarrow X \subseteq A},[/tex] Indiscrete Topology.

(2) [tex]T^{*} = {A \subseteq X|a \in A \Rightarrow {a} \subseteq A},[/tex] Discrete Topology.

Questions:
I was wondering how we can have the following statement (from above),
(1) [tex]a \in A \Rightarrow X \subseteq A[/tex]
(2) [tex]a \in A \Rightarrow {a} \subseteq A[/tex]

Thanks,JL

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a really set-theoretic definition approach to defining these topologies, and they threw me off at first too. The indiscrete topology of X is the topology containing only the empty set and X itself. This agrees with their definition because if A=empty set, then nothing's in there so the implication to the right of the bar is "true" (I think some might say vacuously true, but I don't like the term). So A=empty set is in the topology. If X=A, then X is automatically a subset of A and thus in the topology. These are the only two subsets of X that satisfy their definition.

The discrete topology of X is just the collection of all subsets of X, i.e. the topology equals the power set of X. This again agrees with their definition because any subset A of X will satisfy the property that if [itex]a\in A[/itex], then [itex]a\subseteq A[/itex].

I think defining these topologies in this way and not explaining them is very poor writing. I don't see any reason why they would do so, because the definitions I gave (which was what I was taught and is in the book Topology by Munkres) are perfectly rigorous. Their definitions certainly give no immediate insight as to what the topologies actually consist of.

1. What is the indiscrete topology?

The indiscrete topology, also known as the trivial topology, is the simplest type of topology that can be defined on a set. It consists of only two open sets: the empty set and the entire set itself.

2. What is the discrete topology?

The discrete topology is the most general type of topology that can be defined on a set. It consists of all possible subsets of the set as open sets. In other words, every singleton set is considered open in the discrete topology.

3. What are the main differences between indiscrete and discrete topologies?

The main difference between indiscrete and discrete topologies lies in the number of open sets they have. Indiscrete topology has only two open sets, while discrete topology has infinitely many open sets. Additionally, the indiscrete topology is always compact and connected, whereas the discrete topology may or may not be.

4. How are indiscrete and discrete topologies used in real-world applications?

Indiscrete and discrete topologies are often used in computer science and data analysis, particularly in machine learning algorithms. They are also used in areas of mathematics, such as algebraic topology, to study more complex topological spaces.

5. Can a set have both an indiscrete and a discrete topology?

No, a set cannot have both an indiscrete and a discrete topology at the same time. This is because the two topologies are complementary and cannot coexist on the same set. A set can only have one topology at a time.