What is the Integrating Factor for Solving this Differential Equation?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a linear differential equation using the integrating factor method. The person is struggling to understand why the integrating factor is equal to t^2 and is seeking clarification from others.
iamtrojan3

Homework Statement

Solving this differential equation
ty' + 2y = t^2 - t + 1

Homework Equations

Its linear so i set it up in linear form
y' + y(2/t) = t - 1 +1/t

The Attempt at a Solution

the integrating factor (u) = e ^ integral (ydt) = e^ integral (2dt/t)...
Here's the question, my book says u = t^2, and i just can't figure out how e ^ integral (2dt/t) is t^2

Its probably some stupid thing that I'm getting stuck on, thanks.
I know how to do this afterwards, i just can't for the life of god figure out why u = t^2

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]u = e^{\int\frac{2dt}{t}} = e^{2\ln t} = (e^{\ln t})^2[/tex]

oh wow i thought u could bring the 2 out front... thanks for clearing that up

Thanks Bohrok, I thought that was were is was coming from also but was having trouble typing it out.

Matt

Last edited:

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a mathematical function that is used to solve a first-order ordinary differential equation. It is multiplied to both sides of the equation in order to make it easier to integrate.

2. Why is an integrating factor needed?

Integrating factors are needed to solve certain types of differential equations that cannot be solved using basic integration techniques. They help to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

3. How do you choose an integrating factor?

The integrating factor is usually chosen based on the form of the differential equation. It is often found by identifying a certain pattern or structure in the equation and then using a specific method to find the integrating factor.

4. Can an incorrect integrating factor lead to incorrect solutions?

Yes, using the wrong integrating factor can lead to incorrect solutions. It is important to carefully choose and verify the integrating factor to ensure that the solution is accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to using integrating factors?

Yes, integrating factors can only be used to solve certain types of differential equations. They may not be applicable to more complex equations or those with special conditions. In addition, the process of finding the integrating factor can be time-consuming and may not always result in a solution.