Can Modulo Calculations Demonstrate These Number Theory Properties?

• Thread starter 1+1=1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phi
In summary, the conversation is about three mathematical problems that the speaker needs help with. The first one involves showing that if two numbers, a and n, are relatively prime, then the sum of the powers of a (up to n-1) is congruent to 0 mod n. The second problem can use Fermat's Little Theorem and states that if two numbers, m and n, are relatively prime, then the sum of m to the power of phi(n) and n to the power of phi(m) is congruent to 1 mod (mn). The third problem involves Euler's totient function and states that if m and k are positive integers, then phi(k) is equal to m to the power of k
1+1=1
hi, it's me again, i only have 3 tiny questions then i am done asking, i hope!

i need to show that if gcd(a,n)=(a-1,n)=1, then 1+a+[tex]a^2[/tex]...+a^[tex]\phi^n^-^1\equiv[/tex]0 mod n

show (m,n)=1 then m[tex]^\phi^n+n^\phi^m\equiv[/tex] 1 mod (mn)

show if m and k are positive integers then [tex]\phi[/tex](^k)=m^k-1[tex]\phi[/tex](m)

what i know so far: the second one can use fermat's little theroem correct? if a==0 mod b and b==0 mod a then => ab==0 mod(ab)

the third one is just playing with my brain, i honestly do not know anywhere to start it.

the first question says what a,n are relatively prime, and a-1,n are also relatively prime. so, if any a raised to a power, that a is == to 0, mod n. can anyone give me a "hint"?

thank you! p.s. does my LaTeX look good? feel free to tell me and all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help me with these? i honestly have no idea how to start any of them... i just need a little "boost"

Hi there,

To show that 1+a+a^2+...+a^\phi^n^-^1\equiv 0 mod n, we can use the fact that \phi(n) is the number of positive integers less than n that are relatively prime to n. This means that for any number a relatively prime to n, a^\phi(n) \equiv 1 mod n.

Since gcd(a,n)=1 and (a-1,n)=1, we can rewrite the expression as 1+a+a^2+...+a^\phi^n^-^1 = (a^\phi)^n + (a^\phi)^(n-1) + ... + a^\phi + 1.

Now, using the fact that a^\phi \equiv 1 mod n, we can rewrite the expression as 1+1+...+1, which is \phi(n) number of 1's. Since \phi(n) is the number of terms in the expression, we can rewrite the expression as \phi(n) \equiv 0 mod n. This shows that the original expression is congruent to 0 mod n.

For the second question, we can use Fermat's Little Theorem which states that if (m,n)=1, then m^\phi(n) \equiv 1 mod n. This means that m^\phi(n) is congruent to 1 mod n. Similarly, n^\phi(m) is also congruent to 1 mod m.

Therefore, we can rewrite the expression as m^\phi(n) + n^\phi(m) \equiv 1+1 mod (mn), which is equivalent to 2 \equiv 1 mod (mn). This shows that the expression is congruent to 1 mod (mn).

For the third question, we can use the fact that \phi(k) = k-1 for any prime number k. This means that \phi(m^k) = m^k-1.

Hope this helps! And yes, your LaTeX looks great! Keep up the good work.

1. What is the significance of "Modulos raised to phi" in mathematics?

Modulos raised to phi is a mathematical concept that is used to explore the properties of numbers and their relationships to each other. It is an important tool in number theory and has applications in cryptography, computer science, and other fields.

2. How is "Modulos raised to phi" calculated?

The calculation of "Modulos raised to phi" involves finding the remainder when a number is divided by phi, which is the golden ratio. This can be done using various mathematical algorithms, such as the Euclidean algorithm or the extended Euclidean algorithm.

3. What is the significance of the golden ratio in "Modulos raised to phi"?

The golden ratio, also known as phi, is an irrational number that has been studied for centuries due to its unique and fascinating properties. In "Modulos raised to phi," phi serves as the base for the modulo operation and helps reveal patterns and relationships between numbers.

4. What are some real-world applications of "Modulos raised to phi"?

One of the most well-known applications of "Modulos raised to phi" is in cryptography, where it is used to generate secure keys and encode messages. It is also used in computer science for hashing and error detection, as well as in music and art for creating visually pleasing compositions.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using "Modulos raised to phi" in mathematics?

While "Modulos raised to phi" is a powerful tool in mathematics, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be suitable for certain types of calculations or equations, and it can be computationally expensive for large numbers. Additionally, it is important to use it correctly and understand its limitations to avoid errors in calculations.