Hazards of Aspergillus niger van Tieghem & Penicillium luteum

• Medical
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a potential new test method for measuring the effect of two types of fungi, Aspergillus niger van tieghem and Penicillium luteum, on adhesives. The employees have no prior experience with this type of test but believe it is not complicated. They are seeking information on potential hazards posed by these fungi, particularly Penicillium luteum, and are directed to a website that mentions potential mycotoxins produced by some Penicillium species. However, it is noted that not all Penicilliums are harmful to humans, such as P. luteum which is primarily a fruit mold. This information gives the individual asking for guidance more confidence
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My work is considering offering a new test method which measures the effect of two types of fungi on adhesives. This test involves two types of fungi, Aspergillus niger van tieghem, and Penicillium luteum.

None of our employees have experience with this kind of test, but the method doesn't look complicated at all.

I'm looking at possible hazards posed by these fungi. http://www.epa.gov/oppt/biotech/pubs/fra/fra006.htm"is a good summary for A. niger.

But I'm not finding much for the Penicillium. Can someone point me in the right direction to find information about possible hazards posed by this organism?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
A few Pencillium spp. produce some mycotoxins: Ochratoxin Patulin.

Penicillium is primarily a soft rot fungus. In cereal grains the mycotxins can be bad news for animals or humans consuming moldy grain. I have never seen any documentation on pathogenic conditions (other than the mycotoxins above) for humans. P. luteum is purely a fruit mold - you've seen fuzzy green oranges? It is easy to culture. I do not know if it produces mycotoxins or not.

P. roqueforti is the mold in roquefort cheese, so not all penicilliums are a problem for human ingestion.

Thanks, that gives me some confidence. I figured if I couldn't find any information that specifically addressed its risk, then it must be fairly innocuous.

What is Aspergillus niger van Tieghem?

Aspergillus niger van Tieghem is a type of fungus that can be found in soil, plant debris, and indoor environments. It is known for its ability to produce a black pigment and can cause food spoilage and respiratory infections in humans.

What is Penicillium luteum?

Penicillium luteum is a type of mold that is commonly found in soil, decaying plants, and indoor environments. It is known for its ability to produce penicillin, a commonly used antibiotic. However, it can also cause food spoilage and respiratory infections in humans.

What are the hazards of Aspergillus niger van Tieghem and Penicillium luteum?

The hazards of Aspergillus niger van Tieghem and Penicillium luteum include food spoilage, respiratory infections, and allergic reactions. They can also produce mycotoxins, which are toxic substances that can cause illness in humans and animals.

How can one be exposed to Aspergillus niger van Tieghem and Penicillium luteum?

One can be exposed to Aspergillus niger van Tieghem and Penicillium luteum through inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact. These fungi can be found in soil, decaying plants, and indoor environments such as damp buildings or air conditioning systems.

How can exposure to Aspergillus niger van Tieghem and Penicillium luteum be prevented?

To prevent exposure to Aspergillus niger van Tieghem and Penicillium luteum, it is important to maintain good hygiene practices, such as regularly washing hands and avoiding contact with moldy materials. It is also important to fix any sources of moisture in indoor environments to prevent mold growth. In high-risk environments, wearing protective gear such as masks and gloves can also help prevent exposure.