What is the Approximate Kane Energy of GaAs for Calculating Oscillator Strength?

In summary, The book Optoelectronics by Rosencher and Vinter provides a value of 22.71 eV for the Kane energy of GaAs, which is useful for calculating oscillator strength in optical properties of semiconductor nanostructures.
areg
Hallo,
Please help me ASAP. I need to know approximate value for Kane Energy(Ep) of GaAs for calculations of oscillator strength.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know that value myself, but the book Optoelectronics by Rosencher and Vinter gives a value of 22,71 eV for the Kane energy of GaAs.

Cthugha said:
I do not know that value myself, but the book Optoelectronics by Rosencher and Vinter gives a value of 22,71 eV for the Kane energy of GaAs.

Thank you very much, Cthugha. I download this book and find the table with Kane energies. I guess it is very useful book, for investigators of optical properties of semiconductor nanostructures.

1. What is the Kane energy of semiconductors?

The Kane energy of semiconductors is a measure of the minimum energy required to excite an electron from the valence band to the conduction band in a semiconductor material. It is named after physicist Edwin L. Kane, who first proposed the concept in 1957.

2. How is the Kane energy calculated?

The Kane energy is calculated using the Kane formula, which takes into account the material's bandgap energy, the spin-orbit splitting energy, and the effective mass of the electron in the conduction band. It is given by the equation Ek = Eg + ΔESO + (2mc)-1, where Ek is the Kane energy, Eg is the bandgap energy, ΔESO is the spin-orbit splitting energy, and mc is the effective mass of the electron in the conduction band.

3. What is the significance of the Kane energy?

The Kane energy is an important parameter in the study of semiconductors, as it determines the minimum energy required for an electron to move from the valence band to the conduction band. It also affects the material's electrical and optical properties, such as its conductivity and absorption of light.

4. How does the Kane energy differ from the bandgap energy?

While the bandgap energy is the energy difference between the valence band and the conduction band, the Kane energy includes additional factors such as the spin-orbit splitting energy and the effective mass of the electron. This makes the Kane energy a more accurate measure of the energy required for electron excitation in a semiconductor material.

5. What factors can affect the Kane energy of semiconductors?

The Kane energy can be affected by various factors such as doping, strain, and temperature. Doping can change the material's band structure and alter the Kane energy. Strain can also modify the band structure and affect the effective mass of the electron, thus changing the Kane energy. Finally, temperature can affect the electron-phonon interactions and modify the effective mass, leading to a change in the Kane energy.