Physics problem finding tension of a string

In summary, the problem involves two blocks connected by a string with one block on a horizontal surface and the other on an inclined plane. The tension in the string is found using the equation T = m2g(sinθ) - m2a and combining it with the equations T - μFN = m1a and FN = m1a = 12.74. The tension may not necessarily be larger than the normal force.
nothingatall

Homework Statement

In Fig. 6-50, block 1 of mass 1.3 kg and block 2 of mass 2.5 kg are connected by a string of negligible mass and are initially held in place. Block 2 is on a frictionless surface tilted at θ = 31o. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block 1 and the horizontal surface is 0.16. The pulley has negligible mass and friction. Once they are released, the blocks move. What then is the tension in the string?

Homework Equations

Maybe T-muFN=m1a
Fn=m1a=12.74
Combined equation: T=-m2a+m2gsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

My T came out to be 4.7N but since it is smaller than my Fn I know it can't be correct.
What equation will give me the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
nothingatall said:

Homework Statement

In Fig. 6-50, block 1 of mass 1.3 kg and block 2 of mass 2.5 kg are connected by a string of negligible mass and are initially held in place. Block 2 is on a frictionless surface tilted at θ = 31o. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block 1 and the horizontal surface is 0.16. The pulley has negligible mass and friction. Once they are released, the blocks move. What then is the tension in the string?

Homework Equations

Maybe T-muFN=m1a
Yes, for the block on the horizontal surface
Fn=m1a=12.74
Yes, for the block on the horizontal surface, where a = g in this case.
Combined equation: T=-m2a+m2gsin(theta)
This is the equation for the block on the incline. It is not a combined equation. Use this equation in combination with your first 2 equations to solve for the tension.

The Attempt at a Solution

My T came out to be 4.7N but since it is smaller than my Fn I know it can't be correct.
What equation will give me the correct answer?
Mt T comes out slightly larger, but why do you think T needs to be greater than Fn?

To find the tension in the string, we can use the equation T = m2g(sinθ - μkcosθ), where T is the tension, m2 is the mass of block 2, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the incline, and μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction. This equation takes into account the effect of friction on the system. Plugging in the given values, we get T = (2.5 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(sin31° - 0.16cos31°) = 7.2 N. This is the correct tension in the string.

1. What is tension in a string?

Tension is the force applied to a string that causes it to stretch or become taut.

2. How do you calculate tension in a string?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the string, and L is the length of the string.

3. What factors affect the tension in a string?

The tension in a string can be affected by the length and thickness of the string, as well as the force being applied to it.

4. How is tension related to the frequency of a vibrating string?

The tension in a string is directly proportional to the frequency of vibration. This means that as tension increases, so does the frequency of vibration.

5. Can tension in a string be negative?

No, tension in a string cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the force pulling on the string.