Current Through a Beam of Protons

In summary, a cylindrically shaped beam of protons has a diameter of 1.20 mm and has 1.40e6 protons per cubic centimeter. The kinetic energy of each proton is 1.15 keV. The beam current in microamperes is 1.19 x 10-7 A.
cwatki14
A cylindrically shaped beam of protons has a diameter of 1.20 mm and has 1.40e6 protons per cubic centimeter. The kinetic energy of each proton is 1.15 keV.
What is the beam current in microamperes?

I know that:
I=qnA<v>
I am 99% sure this is the equation that you use.
q is the charge of the proton or q=1.602e-19C

n is the charge density of the protons which is 1.4e6 protons/cubic centimeter. in order to get this into cubic meters I should divide by 1e6. Then n= 1.4 protons/cubic meter

A is the cross sectional area of the beam or. (1.2/1000)= .012/2= [tex]\pi[/tex](6e-4)^2= 1.3097e-6

using 1/2mv^2=ke I found that v=469352.4916m/s

I plugged all these values into the above equation to get the current in amperes, then I multiplied this by 1e6 to get it into microamperes. I am still getting it wrong, and I don't know why. The homework program only let's me get point if I am 1% within the scientifically notated answer. My answer was 1.1905e-13 microamperes...

This is so frustrating, and I am about to pull my hair out...

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your velocity.
area of the beam or. (1.2/1000)= .012/2= LaTeX Code: \\pi (6e-4)^2= 1.3097e-6
is difficult to understand. Why divide the radius by 2? I think that is your only mistake - I've got twice your answer.
I found the volume of the cylinder of electrons that passes by any given point in a second using d = vt, then used V = pi*r^2*L to get the the volume. Finally, calculated the number of protons and charge in that volume.

isn't the variable n the cross sectional area of the beam. since the beam is a cylinder, the cross sectional area is a circle. the area of a circle is [tex]\pi[/tex]r^2. the problem gives us the diameter in mm. i converted this to m and then divided it by two to get the radius...
n should be the cross sectional area because I is in amperes (which has a unit of C/s). when you multiply charge by charge density by A by velocity you should get C/s. Then (C)(1/m^3)(A)(m/s)= C/s, so A must have a value of m^2.

Last edited:
cwatki14 said:
n is the charge density of the protons which is 1.4e6 protons/cubic centimeter. in order to get this into cubic meters I should divide by 1e6. Then n= 1.4 protons/cubic meter

I don't understand this. Why are there less protons in a cubic meter (1.4) than there would be in a cubic centimeter (1.4e6)?

Oops - sorry! I wrote down 1.2 mm as the radius and never checked it!

With that change I agree with your answer of 1.19 x 10-7 A.

I guess you have a typo in this bit: "pi (6e-4)^2= 1.3097e-6"
I get 1.13E-6.

The answer of 1.19 x 10-7 A was wrong. The computer won't let me guess anymore, but I tried calculating it out again just to see. This time I said that n should be 1.4 x 10^6 x 1x10^6. Then I=.119 A. Does this seem right?

Using meters throughout, I had
I = qnAv = 1.6E-19*1.4E12*1.13E-6*4.69E5 = 1.19E-7 Amps.
Oh, that is 0.119 microamps not the 1.1905e-13 microamperes you had in the first post. What a shame if that is all that was wrong!

1. What is current through a beam of protons?

The current through a beam of protons refers to the flow of electric charge carried by protons as they move through a conducting medium, typically in a particle accelerator or a plasma beam.

2. How is the current through a beam of protons measured?

The current through a beam of protons is measured using an ammeter, which detects the flow of electric charge and converts it into a numerical value in units of amperes (A).

3. What factors affect the current through a beam of protons?

The current through a beam of protons is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field used to guide the beam, the energy of the protons, and the density of the beam.

4. Why is the current through a beam of protons important?

The current through a beam of protons is important because it directly affects the intensity and energy of the resulting particle beam. This is crucial in scientific research and medical treatments that utilize proton beams.

5. How is the current through a beam of protons controlled?

The current through a beam of protons is controlled by adjusting the parameters of the particle accelerator, such as the magnetic field strength and the energy of the particles. This allows for precise control of the beam's intensity and energy, which is essential for various applications.