Newton Third Law problem. Help pleaseee

In summary, the problem involves a 1.0 kg block tied to a wall and sitting on top of a 2.0 kg block. The lower block is pulled to the right with a tension force of 20 N and the coefficient of kinetic friction at both surfaces of the upper block is given. The goal is to find the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block. After multiple attempts and discussions, the correct solution involves only considering the forces on the 2.0 kg block and setting up the equation Fx = Fa2 - Fk2 - Ft = ma, which results in an acceleration of 6.4 m/s^2.
irNewton
Newton Third Law problem. Help pleaseee!

Homework Statement

The 1.0 kg block is tied to the wall with a rope. It sits on top of the 2.0 kg block. The lower block is pulled to the right with a tension force of 20 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction at both the lower and upper surfaces of the 2.0 kg block is uk = 0.370.

What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?

Homework Equations

Manipulations of F=ma.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have given this two tries.

First try,

Fx=Fa2-Fk2-Ft+Fk1=ma
20N-(0.370)(3.0kg)(9.81m/s^2)-3.63N+(0.370)(1.0kg)(9.81)=3a

and I get it wrong..

Physics news on Phys.org

How did you get 3.63N? Why did you add Fk1? I believe the summation of forces is 2a

Hmm but isn't the force being applied to the whole system which is 3kg?

anddd, Fk1 is the kinetic friction acting between block 1 and block 2 and 3.63 is the tension in the rope for block 1.

I was guessing all of the forces on block 1 and 2 should be taking into account...
I guess not?

Ops i misread the question didn't notice the 1kg mass is tied to the wall no wonder i don't understand why static coefficient is not given. If we say the force applied is F, is this force F in your free body diagram for the smaller mass? Maybe you can try looking at just the 2kg mass and draw the free body diagram and resolve the forces. Does it give you the correct answer?

Last edited:

I already tried adding up the sum of all the forces only on block 2 and got a wrong answer :(

Mind writing out how you do it?

20N-0.37*2*9.8=2a
6.4 m/s = a

this is wrong :(

0.37*2*9.8 is the frictional force between the smaller mass and the bigger one how about the friction between the bigger mass and the floor?

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that for every force applied by one object on another, there is an equal and opposite force applied by the second object on the first.

2. Can you give an example of Newton's Third Law in action?

One example of Newton's Third Law is when you push against a wall, the wall pushes back with an equal force. Another example is when a rocket is launched, the force of the burning fuel pushing downward causes an equal and opposite force upward, propelling the rocket into the air.

3. How do you solve a Newton's Third Law problem?

To solve a Newton's Third Law problem, you must first identify the two objects involved and the forces they are exerting on each other. Then, use the equation F = ma (force = mass x acceleration) to calculate the forces acting on each object. The forces should be equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

4. Can Newton's Third Law be violated?

No, Newton's Third Law is a fundamental law of physics and has been observed to hold true in all situations. However, in some cases, it may seem like the law is being violated because the forces involved are not easily visible or understood.

5. How does Newton's Third Law relate to motion?

Newton's Third Law is closely related to the concept of motion because it explains the forces that cause objects to move or remain at rest. The equal and opposite forces acting on two objects can result in them moving in opposite directions or remaining stationary.