Vector Space vs Field F Vector Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a "vector space" and a "vector space over a field F". It is explained that a vector space over a field F satisfies 8 axioms, but a vector space also satisfies these axioms as it is a special case of a module over a ring. The main distinction between a field and a vector space over field F is that a field has multiplicative inverses.
kman12
Hello, I'm studying linear algebra and wanted to know what is the difference between a "vector space" and a "vector space over field F".
I know that a vector space over field F satisfies the 8 axioms, but does a vector space satisfy this also?

Physics news on Phys.org
A field could be a set of real, or complex numbers, or a set of rational numbers whose addition and multiplication is well defined.

waht said:
A field could be a set of real, or complex numbers, or a set of rational numbers whose addition and multiplication is well defined.

This doesn't answer my question, I want to know the difference between a vector space and a vector space over field F.

There's no difference. Every vector space is a vector space over a field. The field is usually the real numbers or the complex numbers, but it could be any field. A vector space over [itex]\mathbb R[/itex] is often called a "real vector space", and a vector space over [itex]\mathbb C[/itex] is often called a "complex vector space".

Fredrik said:
There's no difference. Every vector space is a vector space over a field. The field is usually the real numbers or the complex numbers, but it could be any field. A vector space over [itex]\mathbb R[/itex] is often called a "real vector space", and a vector space over [itex]\mathbb C[/itex] is often called a "complex vector space".

Right this would make sense. So that means the 8 axioms for a "Vector Space over a field F" also hold for a "Vector space".

Because i know that the basic defin of a vector space is that:
1) It contains a non empty set V whose elements are vectors
2) A field F whose elements are scalars
3) A binary operation + on V Under which V is closed
4) A multiplication . of a vector by a scalar.
So on top of this the 8 axioms (That hold for a vector space over a field F) also hold for a vector space (i can't be asked to write all axioms)?

Yes, you got it right. I prefer to state the definition a bit differently though. In my definition, V is a set, [itex]\mathbb F[/itex] is a field, and [itex]A:V\times V\rightarrow V[/itex] and [itex]S:\mathbb F\times V\rightarrow V[/itex] are functions (called "addition" and "scalar multiplication" respectively). We use the notation [itex]A(x,y)=x+y[/itex] and [itex]S(k,x)=kx[/itex].

Definition: A 4-tuple [itex](V,\mathbb F,A,S)[/itex] is said to be a vector space over the field [itex]\mathbb F[/itex] if

(i) [itex](x+y)+z=x+(y+z)[/itex] for all [itex]x,y,z\in V[/itex]

...and so on. (You seem to know the rest).

Note that V is just a set. It's convenient to call V a vector space, but you should be aware that this is actually a bit sloppy. It's certainly OK to do it when it's clear from the context what field [itex]\mathbb F[/itex] and what addition and scalar multiplication functions we have in mind. For example, it's common to refer to "the vector space [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] " because everyone is familiar with the standard vector space structure on that set.

I find it useful to think of vector spaces as special cases of modules over rings.
A module is just an abelian group together with a distributive multiplication by elements of a ring. If the ring is a field then the module is a vector space.

The distinguishing feature of a field is that is has multiplicative inverses.

Much of the theory of vector spaces actually comes from considering modules where the ring is a principal ideal domain. This is because the ring of polynomials over a field is a principal ideal domain.

Last edited:
right thanks fredrik

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and a set of operations that can be performed on those vectors. These operations include addition and scalar multiplication, and they must follow certain rules in order for the set to be considered a vector space.

2. What is a field?

A field is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of numbers and two operations, usually addition and multiplication, that can be performed on those numbers. These operations must also follow specific rules in order for the set to be considered a field.

3. What is the difference between a vector space and a field?

While both vector spaces and fields involve sets of elements and operations, the main difference between the two is the types of elements they contain. Vector spaces contain vectors, which are typically represented by arrays of numbers, while fields contain numbers. Additionally, the operations performed on these elements are different - vector spaces have defined operations of addition and scalar multiplication, while fields have operations of addition, multiplication, subtraction, and division.

4. Can a vector space be a field?

No, a vector space cannot be a field. In order for a set to be considered a field, it must contain numbers as elements and have operations of addition, multiplication, subtraction, and division. Vector spaces only have operations of addition and scalar multiplication, and their elements are typically not numbers but rather vectors.

5. What is an F vector space?

An F vector space is a vector space in which the elements are vectors with entries from a field F. This means that the operations of addition and scalar multiplication are performed using elements from the field F. In other words, an F vector space is a specific type of vector space that is defined by the field used for its elements.