Probably an easy problem for you guys, but hard for me

• Thread starter redgreenpaper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, Homework Statement The student is having trouble with their physics homework and asks for help. They are missing some questions and need help understanding what the answers are. The student has difficulty with one of the questions and asks if someone can help them with it. The person looking at the homework is not familiar with the formulas involved and asks if the student can do it themselves. The student is able to correctly solve the equation for static friction and also sketches the situation.
redgreenpaper

Homework Statement

hi there, I am having some trouble with my physics homework and i was wondering if anyone can help me. i have no clue what to do. these are the questions

1. what does the slope of the graph "maximum force of static friction vs normal force" mean? (maximum force of static friction is on the y-axis and normal force is on the x axis)

2. use free body diagrams to derive the equation "tanΘ=Us" (Us is static friction)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That graph must pass through the origin, so slope = Ff/Fn.
Look through your list of formulas for one containing the two forces and solve it for Ff/Fn. You'll see what it equals.

I'm not familiar with your #2. What is the situation? What is the angle between?

redgreenpaper said:

Homework Statement

hi there, I am having some trouble with my physics homework and i was wondering if anyone can help me. i have no clue what to do. these are the questions

1. what does the slope of the graph "maximum force of static friction vs normal force" mean? (maximum force of static friction is on the y-axis and normal force is on the x axis)
The slope, which is just the ratio of the maximum static friction force to normal force, gives the proportionality constant for static friction force, [itex]\mu_s[/itex] as in:

[tex]F_{sf} = \mu_sN[/tex]

In the above equation the force of static friction is the maximum force that friction can exert - ie. a force larger than this will cause motion.
2. use free body diagrams to derive the equation "tanΘ=Us" (Us is static friction)
This sounds like a mass on an inclined plane which is tilted until the mass starts to slide. That is the angle, Θ that you use. What is the normal force at that point? What is the force along the surface of the inclined plane? How is that force related to the force of static friction? (think of the forces just before the mass starts to move).

AM

Delphi51 said:
That graph must pass through the origin, so slope = Ff/Fn.
Look through your list of formulas for one containing the two forces and solve it for Ff/Fn. You'll see what it equals.

I'm not familiar with your #2. What is the situation? What is the angle between?

the situation is a shoe on a wooden board that is 1.85 m long. then it is being lifted up until the shoe starts to move.

tell me if u need more info

somebody please help with question 2

Red, you can do it yourself. I said

"That graph must pass through the origin, so slope = Ff/Fn.
Look through your list of formulas for one containing the two forces and solve it for Ff/Fn. You'll see what it equals."

and Andrew looked up the formula for you, so there is very little left to do!

Delphi51 said:
Red, you can do it yourself. I said

"That graph must pass through the origin, so slope = Ff/Fn.
Look through your list of formulas for one containing the two forces and solve it for Ff/Fn. You'll see what it equals."

and Andrew looked up the formula for you, so there is very little left to do!

i can't read andrews formulas. its so small and black and white i can't read it. also, I am not that good at physics. I am only getting a 70sumthing average :(

ZOMG I THINK I GOT IT.

since slope = Ff/Fn, i can fix up the equation of Ff=uFn to get u=Ff/Fn. am i right?

Got it!
Now sketch the shoe on the ramp and draw in the force of gravity vector arrow. Separate that into a part down the ramp and a part into the ramp. Write expressions for those two components. Same for the force of friction.

thanks a lot delphi

1. What is the best approach to solving this problem?

The best approach to solving any problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by clearly defining the problem and identifying any relevant information or data. Then, brainstorm possible solutions and evaluate their feasibility. Finally, implement and test the chosen solution.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. One helpful strategy is to regularly engage in activities that require critical thinking and decision-making, such as puzzles or logic games. Additionally, seeking feedback from others and learning from your mistakes can also help improve problem-solving abilities.

3. What resources are available to assist with problem-solving?

There are many resources available to assist with problem-solving, including online tutorials, books, and classes. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or collaborating with others can provide valuable insights and solutions.

4. How can I approach a problem from a different perspective?

To approach a problem from a different perspective, try to step back and look at the problem from a new angle. This could involve gathering additional information, seeking input from others, or even physically changing your location. Additionally, challenging any assumptions or biases can also help shift your perspective.

5. How can I stay motivated when faced with a difficult problem?

Staying motivated when facing a difficult problem can be a challenge, but it is important to remember that problem-solving is a process and not an immediate solution. Set small achievable goals and celebrate each milestone towards solving the problem. Additionally, taking breaks, staying organized, and seeking support from others can also help maintain motivation.