Determining Ionic vs. Covalent: AsI3 & Sb2Te3

• Thread starter Jules18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic
In summary: A.In summary, covalent compounds are those in which the two elements are bonded by sharing a electrons between them, while ionic compounds are those in which there are metal-to-metal or metal-to-nonmetal bonds.
Jules18
How do you know whether AsI3 is ionic or covalent?

I was asked on an exam to name it, and I called it Arsenic triioide when the prof said it was Arsenic (III) iodide.

I asked a sophomore TA one time how to tell when it's covalent, and she said the beginning column of the p subshell elements (the end of the transition metals) is her dividing line. In other words, if they're both on the left right of that line, it's a covalent compound, and if they're on opposite sides it's ionic.
But apparently this is an exception, so she must have been mistaken.

And according to another exam written by students in the chem club, Sb2Te3 is ionic, so the dividing line isn't the metal-nonmetal dividing line.
It's like you have to know the electronegativity differences or something, which they never give you.

~Jules~

Physics news on Phys.org
Jules18 said:

I was asked on an exam to name it, and I called it Arsenic triioide when the prof said it was Arsenic (III) iodide.

I asked a sophomore TA one time how to tell when it's covalent, and she said the beginning column of the p subshell elements (the end of the transition metals) is her dividing line. In other words, if they're both on the left right of that line, it's a covalent compound, and if they're on opposite sides it's ionic.

And according to another exam written by students in the chem club, Sb2Te3 is ionic, so the dividing line isn't the metal-nonmetal dividing line.
It's like you have to know the electronegativity differences or something, which they never give you.

~Jules~

Hi,

You are totally right at your point and this is what I know exactly, as there is a kind of difference between these two things.

Thanks!

So, you're saying the cation/anion dividing line for ionic compounds is between the pink and yellow (below), NOT the red line?

periodictable_line.gif

thank you so much for the link.
I find it kind of overwhelming, though. Is there any way you can answer my question directly? I just want to know whether you would use the ionic or covalent rules when naming AsI3, and also Sb2Te3.

Honestly - I have no idea, I just know where too look for an answer when I need one.

--

As far as I can remember, IUPAC nomenclature makes no difference in nomenclature between a covalent and an ionic substance.

http://www.iupac.org/publications/books/rbook/Red_Book_2005.pdf
contains the newest recommendations on inorganic nomenclature. Although the specification via oxidation state is still allowed, it is often not the preferred choice:
"It is possible to provide information on the proportions of the constituents in names by using one of two other devices: the charge number, which designates ionic charge, and the oxidation number, which designates oxidation state. In nomenclature, the use of the charge number is preferred as the determination of the oxidation number is sometimes ambiguous and subjective. It is advisable to use oxidation numbers only when there is no uncertainty about their assignment."

Btw: Could it be that your prof enjoys nit-picking?

ed:I just saw that Borek already specified that link

Last edited by a moderator:
Jules18 said:

Looking at electronegativity differences, from this table:
http://www2.ucdsb.on.ca/tiss/stretton/Database/electronegativity.htm
AsI3 and Sb2Te3 are certainly covalent, especially the second.

Hi,
I'm a first year college chem student and please consider that with my answer, which is:

An Ionic bond is between a "+" and a "-" substance.
As is "-3" and I "-1" so they would have to be covalently bonded.

Another "rule" is ionic bonds are between metals and non metals. Sb2Te3 ;2 metals=covalent

Most of the common ionic compounds we deal with are those between Group 1A or 2A bonding with Groups 5A, 6A, 7A.

HTH

Warren

Whalstib said:
Hi,
I'm a first year college chem student and please consider that with my answer, which is:

An Ionic bond is between a "+" and a "-" substance.
As is "-3" and I "-1" so they would have to be covalently bonded.

Another "rule" is ionic bonds are between metals and non metals. Sb2Te3 ;2 metals=covalent

Most of the common ionic compounds we deal with are those between Group 1A or 2A bonding with Groups 5A, 6A, 7A.

HTH

Warren

2 metals do NOT make a covalent bond; they make a metallic bond.
Covalent bonds are between two non-metal elements, and ionic bonds are between non-metal and metal elements. If you delve further, you will also find out that noble gases make ionic compounds.

Arsenic(III) Iodide would be a covalent bond, as both are NON-METALS. Remember, Arsenic is a metalloid; it's a non-metal, but with metal properties. Iodine is also a non-metal, therefore making AsI3 a covalently-bonded substance.

With more complex compounds, involving two metalloids(such as Sb2Te3; neither of them are metals. They are metalloids, do not get confused Whalstib) you will have to know about electronegativites of different elements. For Sb2Te3, we would have to subtract the electronegativities from each other. Typically on a scale of 0 - 3.3 (0 being completely covalent, 3.3 being completely ionic) you will be looking for differences of greater than around 1.7-1.9 for more Ionic bonds and less than that for more covalent bonds.

So for Sb2Te3 we take 2.1 - 1.9 which equals about .2.

A covalent bond.

You may have to use this for AsI3 too, to be sure, although it certainly is covalent.

Whalstib: your answers were correct, but with the wrong principles.

~Vincit

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between ionic and covalent bonds?

Ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons from one atom to another, resulting in positively and negatively charged ions that are held together by electrostatic forces. Covalent bonds involve the sharing of electrons between atoms, resulting in a more equal distribution of charge.

2. How can you determine if a compound is ionic or covalent?

One way to determine this is by examining the electronegativity difference between the atoms in the compound. If the difference is greater than 1.7, the bond is likely ionic. If the difference is less than 1.7, the bond is likely covalent.

3. What is the electronegativity difference between As and I in AsI3?

The electronegativity difference between As and I in AsI3 is approximately 1.2, indicating that the bond is covalent.

4. How does the electronegativity difference affect the properties of a compound?

The electronegativity difference can affect the overall polarity of the compound. Ionic compounds tend to have higher melting and boiling points due to the strong electrostatic forces between the ions, while covalent compounds tend to have lower melting and boiling points due to the weaker intermolecular forces between molecules.

5. What type of bond does Sb2Te3 have?

Sb2Te3 has a covalent bond, as the electronegativity difference between Sb and Te is approximately 0.8.