Partial pressure of gases in various parts of the respiratory system

In summary: So, you have to start out with a slightly higher PCO2 in arteries to get an equilibrium with the lower PCO2 in alveoli. So, it's not really that arterial blood has a higher PCO2, it's just that it starts out a little higher, but then equilibrates with the alveolar PCO2.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

Ok to understand the respiratory system, proper understanding of this diagram is essential. Something I don't have, so if anyone can help me with these questions I would be very greatful. Thanks :smile:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8923/rightbv.jpg

1. Anatomic dead space and residual volume?
I know what anatomic dead space is but residual volume is confusing me. Is it in the conducting zone as well and non technically isn't it like some kind of anatomic dead space.

2. Why does the alveoli have less partial pressure of oxygen than inspired air? I can understand how addition of water vapour can reduce it but residual volume just confused me. Does oxygen from residual volume get mixed with this as well increasing P02.

3. Why does the expired air have higher P02 of oxygen than alveoli?
I can understand how mixing with dead space would archieve it. Does the residual volume affect it as well. Residual volume is confusing me.

4. What creates the P02 in arterial blood and why it is 95?
So it is basically oxygen dissolved in blood right that causes the partial pressure of oxygen.We consider the haemoglobin bind oxygen as part of dissolved blood right? 95 is due to shunting right?

5. Why is PC02 in alveoli 40 and what creates PC02 in arterial blood?
Is it 40 in alveoli because CO2 diffuses into it from the capillaries. So C02 from tissues goes to capillarie-->veins--->capillaries---->alveoli so from where does arterial PC02 come from.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Before I offer any help, are these questions for an assignment, or questions you have formed on your own while studying?

Moonbear said:
Before I offer any help, are these questions for an assignment, or questions you have formed on your own while studying?

No no not assignment. I have given my own explanation for each question. This is not homework help. :smile:

sameeralord said:
No no not assignment. I have given my own explanation for each question. This is not homework help. :smile:
Okay then. Just checking; these sound like the sort of questions I might torture my students with. :wink:

sameeralord said:
1. Anatomic dead space and residual volume?
I know what anatomic dead space is but residual volume is confusing me. Is it in the conducting zone as well and non technically isn't it like some kind of anatomic dead space.
Anatomic dead space is in the air passages; the portion of air that never gets to the lungs (i.e., in the trachea, bronchi, bronchioles). Residual volume is the air left in the lungs that can't be forcibly exhaled.

2. Why does the alveoli have less partial pressure of oxygen than inspired air? I can understand how addition of water vapour can reduce it but residual volume just confused me. Does oxygen from residual volume get mixed with this as well increasing P02.

3. Why does the expired air have higher P02 of oxygen than alveoli?
I can understand how mixing with dead space would archieve it. Does the residual volume affect it as well. Residual volume is confusing me.

4. What creates the P02 in arterial blood and why it is 95?
So it is basically oxygen dissolved in blood right that causes the partial pressure of oxygen.We consider the haemoglobin bind oxygen as part of dissolved blood right? 95 is due to shunting right?

5. Why is PC02 in alveoli 40 and what creates PC02 in arterial blood?
Is it 40 in alveoli because CO2 diffuses into it from the capillaries. So C02 from tissues goes to capillarie-->veins--->capillaries---->alveoli so from where does arterial PC02 come from.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:

I thought this was going to be easy to answer, and then I looked again at your diagram. Where did you get it from? It's quite misleading the way it is drawn, because it doesn't represent that pulmonary veins contain the oxygenated blood returning to the heart to be distributed to the body via the systemic arteries, and then systemic veins return low-oxygenated and higher CO2 blood to the heart for return to the lungs via pulmonary arteries. It seems to mix up the concepts of arteries and veins in a very confusing way.

Generally, the concept to understand is that partial pressures of gases are traveling in a concentration gradient from high to low as gas exchange occurs. Oxygen is picked up from air at higher levels than carbon dioxide, because air has a higher partial pressure of oxygen than carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide gets picked up by venous blood from the tissues as a waste product.

The reason you don't see a large difference in CO2 between venous and arterial blood, like you do for O2, is that a lot of the CO2 is maintained as bicarbonate in the blood, not as free CO2 or bound to hemoglobin.

Thanks Moonbear!

I still have one question. Why does arterial carbon dioxide contain relatively high pressure.
So carbon dioxide in veins is 46 and in alveoli it is 40 so shouldn't the carbon dioxide in arteries be somewhere like 46-40=6. However it is 40. I don't get it. So having bicarbonate should reduce pressure of CO2 in arterial blood further right. Thanks a lot for your help!

Again, you need to remember the direction of concentration gradients. When the excess of CO2 is in venous blood, and exchange occurs in the direction of dumping out CO2 into the alveoli, you can't get a concentration lower than what is present in the alveoli. Once an equilibrium between PCO2 in the alveoli and arteries is reached, no more exchange occurs.

1. What is partial pressure of gases in the respiratory system?

The partial pressure of gases in the respiratory system refers to the pressure exerted by a single gas in a mixture of gases. In the respiratory system, this includes the gases oxygen and carbon dioxide, which are exchanged between the lungs and blood.

2. How does the partial pressure of gases change throughout the respiratory system?

The partial pressure of gases changes as air moves through the respiratory system. In the alveoli, where gas exchange occurs, the partial pressure of oxygen is high and the partial pressure of carbon dioxide is low. As air moves through the airways and into the lungs, the partial pressure of oxygen decreases and the partial pressure of carbon dioxide increases.

3. What factors affect the partial pressure of gases in the respiratory system?

The partial pressure of gases in the respiratory system is affected by several factors, including the concentration of gases in the air, the rate and depth of breathing, and the efficiency of gas exchange in the lungs. Other factors, such as altitude and lung diseases, can also impact the partial pressure of gases in the respiratory system.

4. Why is the partial pressure of oxygen important in the respiratory system?

The partial pressure of oxygen is important in the respiratory system because it is necessary for the body's cells to perform cellular respiration, which produces energy. Without enough oxygen, cells cannot function properly and can lead to serious health issues. Monitoring and maintaining the partial pressure of oxygen is crucial for overall health and well-being.

5. How can the partial pressure of gases be measured in the respiratory system?

The partial pressure of gases in the respiratory system can be measured using a device called a blood gas analyzer. This device measures the levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in a blood sample and calculates the partial pressure of each gas. Other methods, such as arterial blood gas tests and capnography, can also be used to measure the partial pressure of gases in the respiratory system.