Cylindrical tank w/ water flowing out of small tube near bottom

In summary, the cylindrical open tank needs cleaning. The tank is filled with water to a height of meter, so you decide to empty it by letting the water flow steadily from an opening at the side of the tank, located near the bottom. The cross-sectional area of the tank is square meters, while that of the opening is square meters. The water flow through the opening is faster than the water flow around the tank, so the water level in the tank drops. The water flow through the opening is also faster than the water flow around the small tube, so the water level in the small tube also drops. The water level in the tank and the small tube are both decreasing, and the water level in the opening is
Linus Pauling
1. A cylindrical open tank needs cleaning. The tank is filled with water to a height meter, so you decide to empty it by letting the water flow steadily from an opening at the side of the tank, located near the bottom. The cross-sectional area of the tank is square meters, while that of the opening is square meters

2. I've got a bunch of calculations below. I need help with setting up and solving the final integral.

3. A_1 = area of surface, v_1 = velocity of flow at suraface
A_2 = area of small tube, v_2 = velocity of flow out of tube

A_1 >> A_2

V' = A_2 * v_2 = rate of discharge

V' = A_1 * dh/dt, relates rate of discharge to drop in height of liquid

v_2 = sqrt[2gh + v_1^2]

v_1 = v_2 *(A_2/A_1)

v_1 = sqrt[(2gh) / (1-(A_2/A_1)^2)]

dh/dt = rate of change of height of water = -A_2/A_1 * sqrt(2gh)

Ok, so now the strategy is to solve a separable first-order ODE like so:

dy/dx = f(x)g(y)
dy/g(y) = f(x)dx, and integrate both sides.

So in my case, these are the integrals I obtain:

dh/dt = -A_2/A_1 * sqrt[2gh]
Plus in g = 9.81 and obtain:

dh/dt = -4.23*(A_2/A_1)*sqrt(h)

So I get the following integrals:

h^(-0.5)dh = -4.23*(A_2/A_1)dt with h_0 and 0.5h_0 as the limits of integration. I have solved this a couple different ways and obtained incorrect answers.

Can someone point out what the correct integral I need to solve is?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

What is the question?
I'm having trouble following your work - why do you say
v_2 = sqrt[2gh + v_1^2]
It seems to say that if v_1 was zero, v_2 would be nonzero which doesn't make sense. Then it looks like you dropped the v_1^2 to get
dh/dt = = -A_2/A_1 * sqrt(2gh)
Actually that does make sense. What did you find from this that wasn't correct? I see you can get h as a function of time.

What is the purpose of a cylindrical tank with water flowing out of a small tube near the bottom?

The purpose of a cylindrical tank with water flowing out of a small tube near the bottom is to provide a controlled flow of water for various applications, such as irrigation, plumbing, and industrial processes.

How does the flow of water from the small tube near the bottom of the tank affect the overall water level?

The flow of water from the small tube near the bottom of the tank will decrease the overall water level in the tank. This is due to the principle of fluid dynamics, where the water exiting the tank creates a pressure difference that causes the water level to decrease.

What factors affect the rate of water flow from the small tube near the bottom of the tank?

The rate of water flow from the small tube near the bottom of the tank is affected by several factors, including the height of the water column above the tube, the diameter of the tube, the density and viscosity of the water, and the presence of any obstructions or restrictions in the tube.

How can the flow rate from the small tube near the bottom of the tank be controlled?

The flow rate from the small tube near the bottom of the tank can be controlled by adjusting the height of the water column above the tube, changing the diameter of the tube, or using a valve or regulator to regulate the flow. Additionally, the flow rate can be controlled by altering the properties of the water itself, such as its density or viscosity.

Is there a limit to the flow rate from the small tube near the bottom of the tank?

Yes, there is a limit to the flow rate from the small tube near the bottom of the tank. This is determined by the height of the water column above the tube, the diameter of the tube, and the properties of the water. If the flow rate exceeds this limit, the water level in the tank will decrease to a point where there is no longer enough pressure to sustain the flow.