Powers of Complex Numbers

In summary: Since the period of the exponential function is 2\pi, e^{15 i\pi/2}= e^{3 i\pi/2}.In summary, when solving for z^10 with z=-1+i, the answer can be expressed as 32e^-i(1/2pi) or 32e^i(3pi/2), both of which are correct. The discrepancy between the given answer and the one stated in the book may be due to the need to convert the value of the principal argument to be within the range of 0 to 2pi.
Phyisab****

Homework Statement

Obtain z^10 for z=-1+i

Homework Equations

z=re^i(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Theta is 3pi/4. So z^10 = 32e^i(15pi/2).

The answer in my book is 32e^i(3pi/2) but I'm pretty sure that's wrong, can anyone confirm?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes but [itex]e^{\frac{15 i \pi}{2}} = e^{\frac{12 i \pi}{2}} \cdot e^{\frac{3 i \pi}{2}}[/itex]

does that help?

z = -1 + i = sqrt(2) cis(3/4 pi)

z^10 = 2^5 cis (10 x 3/4 pi) {De Moivre's Theorem}
= 32 cis (15/2 pi)
= -32i

So I was right? Why did the answer appear in the book that way? Or is it wrong?

Both the book and your answer is right -
though technically the answers should be 32e^-i(1/2pi).

remember, the range of principal argument is 0 < theta < pi (above the x-axis) &
-pi < theta < 0 (below the x-axis). so whenever you get a value beyond these ranges you have to convert your large value into an equivalent but smaller value within the range.

So you start at the line to the right of the origin of the x-axis (which is theta = 0). one revolution around all the quadrants back to the start is 2 pi. you keep on going until you finish up to 15/2 pi. you should end up at the line to the bottom of the origin of the y-axis. that is 3/2 pi.

latentcorpse said:
yes but [itex]e^{\frac{15 i \pi}{2}} = e^{\frac{12 i \pi}{2}} \cdot e^{\frac{3 i \pi}{2}}[/itex]

does that help?

Phyisab**** said:
So I was right? Why did the answer appear in the book that way? Or is it wrong?
The point is that [itex]12 i \pi= 6 (2 i \pi)[/itex] so that [itex]e^{12 i\pi}= (e^{2 i\pi})^6= 1[/itex].

[itex]e^{15 i \pi}= e^{3 i\pi}[/itex] but it is best always to write the argument between 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex].

1. What are complex numbers and why do they have powers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain two parts: a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. Complex numbers have powers because they can be used to solve equations that cannot be solved with real numbers alone.

2. How do you calculate powers of complex numbers?

To calculate powers of complex numbers, you can use the formula (a + bi)^n = (a^n - b^2n) + (2ab)^n. This formula can be simplified further depending on the specific power being calculated. Alternatively, you can also use the polar form of complex numbers and use the De Moivre's theorem.

3. What is the significance of the powers of complex numbers in mathematics?

The powers of complex numbers have many applications in mathematics, including in the fields of calculus, number theory, and geometry. They are also used in solving differential equations, understanding the behavior of electric circuits, and analyzing wave functions in quantum mechanics.

4. Can complex numbers have negative powers?

Yes, complex numbers can have negative powers. Just like real numbers, complex numbers can be raised to any integer power, including negative powers. This can be done using the same formula mentioned in the answer to question 2.

5. What are some real-life examples where powers of complex numbers are used?

Powers of complex numbers are used in various real-life applications, such as in signal processing, electrical engineering, and computer graphics. They are also used in calculating the resonance frequency of electronic circuits and determining the stability of physical systems.