Nanomaterials destroy cancer

• Medical
  • Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer
In summary, tiny magnetic discs just a millionth of a metre in diameter could be used to kill cancer cells, according to a new study. Scientists are working on a method to deliver the discs to the cancer cells without damaging healthy cells.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
"Tiny magnetic discs just a millionth of a metre in diameter could be used to kill cancer cells, according to a new study.

"Laboratory tests found the so-called 'nanodiscs', around 60 billionths of a metre thick, could be used to disrupt the membranes of cancer cells, causing them to self-destruct.

"The results of the research appear in the journal Nature Materials.

"One of the study's authors, Dr Elena Rozhlova of Argonne National Laboratory in the United States, says subjecting the nanodiscs to a low magnetic field for around ten minutes was enough to destroy 90% of cancer cells in tests."

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2009/11/30/2757570.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

That's interesting.

Hopefully there won't be any side effects from having nano-disks floating in your blood stream.

In other news, high power lasers, droplets of sulphuric acid, and liquid helium can be effectively used to destroy cancer cells. All that remains is a non-invasive method to deliver liquid helium to cancer cells without damaging healthy cells. Scientists are be working on it and they expect a breakthrough in the next 50 to 100 years.

The biggest challenge, I think, is finding and identifying all the cancer cells in a human body. Do the discs discriminate or do they have to be 'steered' by the magnetic field?

They have to be coated with tumor-specific antibodies.

Hey, um I'm 13 and I just found out my uncel has lung cancer and may not make it. I have heard about nanotechnology being used to kill cancer by protecting a poison with fullerine or 'Buckyballs' and the nanos are lead to the cancer cells and the fullerine barrier breaks sending the nanos into the cancer killing it. I was wondering if you knew if it works for lung cancer and if it would be any better than actaully getting the lung removed. They may remove the lung but if it's in two there isn't much that they can do. Please help. We don't have much time.

Hi ScottMyHero, I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. Nanotechnology is not yet researched enough to be applied in the clinic, it is still an experimental technology. There are however many treatments available that are proven, the doctors in the hospital will be the best to judge what treatment should be applied to treat the particular lung tumor.

How do you even program a nanomaterial to attack a cancer cell? :O

1. What are nanomaterials and how do they destroy cancer?

Nanomaterials are particles that are extremely small, typically less than 100 nanometers in size. They can be engineered to have specific properties, such as targeting cancer cells. Nanomaterials work to destroy cancer by either directly killing the cancer cells or by delivering drugs or other therapeutic agents to the cancer cells.

2. How are nanomaterials able to specifically target cancer cells?

Nanomaterials can be designed to have specific properties that allow them to target cancer cells. For example, they may have a specific shape, surface charge, or coating that allows them to selectively bind to cancer cells. Additionally, they can be functionalized with targeting molecules, such as antibodies, that recognize and bind to specific markers on cancer cells.

3. Are nanomaterials safe for use in cancer treatment?

Safety is a major concern when it comes to using nanomaterials for cancer treatment. While some nanomaterials have been shown to be safe and effective in preclinical studies, more research is needed to fully understand their potential toxicities and long-term effects in humans. Additionally, the specific properties and composition of each nanomaterial can greatly impact its safety profile.

4. What types of cancer can nanomaterials be used to treat?

Nanomaterials have shown potential for treating a wide range of cancers, including breast, lung, prostate, and brain cancer. They can be designed and functionalized to target specific types of cancer cells, making them a promising tool for targeted therapy.

5. How can nanomaterials be delivered to the cancer cells in the body?

There are several methods for delivering nanomaterials to cancer cells in the body, including injection, inhalation, and ingestion. The most effective delivery method may vary depending on the type and location of the cancer. Additionally, nanomaterials can be engineered to have specific properties that allow them to more easily cross biological barriers and reach their intended target in the body.