What is the pH of a 1% sulfuric acid solution?

In summary, to find the molar concentration of a 1% sulfuric acid solution in moles, you can assume you have a solution of 1L in volume and use the formula pH = -log([H+]) assuming 100% dissociation of H+. However, keep in mind that the second dissociation step of sulfuric acid is relatively weak, with about 76% of the acid in the HSO4- form.
Mik0
Can anyone tell me what a 1% (mass or volume) sulfuric acid solution is in moles? I want to find out the pH of a 1% (mass or volume) sulfuric acid solution?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Correct me if I'm wrong but...
I think you can assume you have a solution 1L in volume. If 1% of that solution is sulfuric acid, you can find the molar concentration. Sulfuric acid is a strong acid so assume 100% dissociation of H+. Then just use the formula pH = -log([H+]) to get the pH.

spectre101 said:
Sulfuric acid is a strong acid so assume 100% dissociation of H+.

First dissociation step is strong, but the second is relatively weak. In this particular case about 76% is in the HSO4- form.

--

1. What is the pH of sulfuric acid by volume?

The pH of sulfuric acid by volume varies depending on its concentration. A 0.1 M solution has a pH of 1.0, while a 1 M solution has a pH of 0.3.

2. How is the pH of sulfuric acid by volume calculated?

The pH of sulfuric acid by volume is calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter.

3. Is sulfuric acid by volume considered a strong or weak acid?

Sulfuric acid by volume is considered a strong acid, meaning it completely dissociates in water to form hydrogen ions and sulfate ions.

4. What is the molarity of sulfuric acid by volume?

The molarity of sulfuric acid by volume is equal to the number of moles of sulfuric acid in one liter of solution. For example, a 2 M solution contains 2 moles of sulfuric acid per liter.

5. How does the pH of sulfuric acid by volume change with dilution?

The pH of sulfuric acid by volume increases with dilution. This is because the concentration of hydrogen ions decreases, resulting in a higher pH value.