Can Non-Newtonian Fluid Velocity Profiles be Calculated and Drawn?

In summary, Mohamed reached out to his colleagues through a physics forum to ask for help with calculating and drawing the velocity profile for a Non-Newtonian fluid. He also mentioned that the fluid is viscous and the flow regime is laminar and turbulent. Additionally, he will need to determine the plug diameter ratio. He received a recommendation to read Chapter 8 of "Transport Phenomena" by Bird Stewart and Lightfoot, 2nd Edition 2007 Printing.
AzeemA
Dear Colleagues,
i sent your esteem a message through the physics forum, i don't know if it reached you or not, this is my first time to join a forum :-(

any way i will try to summarize my problem:

1- i need to calculate and draw the velocity profile for a Non-Newtonian fluid
2-fluid is viscous
3-flow regim, laminar and turbulent
4- i also will need to get the plug diameter ration.

thak you very much for your time and consideration

Regards,
Mohamed

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a fluid flow velocity profile?

A fluid flow velocity profile is a graphical representation of the velocity of a fluid at different points within a pipe or channel. It shows how the velocity of the fluid changes across the cross-section of the pipe or channel.

2. Why is the fluid flow velocity profile important?

The fluid flow velocity profile is important because it provides information about the behavior of a fluid as it flows through a pipe or channel. It can help determine the efficiency of a fluid flow system and identify areas of high or low velocity that may cause issues.

3. What factors affect the fluid flow velocity profile?

The factors that affect the fluid flow velocity profile include the viscosity of the fluid, the diameter of the pipe or channel, the flow rate, and the surface roughness of the pipe or channel walls.

4. How is the fluid flow velocity profile measured?

The fluid flow velocity profile can be measured using various techniques such as flow visualization, ultrasonic flowmeters, and laser Doppler anemometry. These methods use different principles to measure and record the velocity at different points within the flow.

5. Can the fluid flow velocity profile be controlled?

Yes, the fluid flow velocity profile can be controlled by adjusting the flow rate, changing the diameter of the pipe or channel, or using flow control devices such as valves and pumps. By controlling the velocity profile, the efficiency and performance of the fluid flow system can be improved.