How to calculate lattice parameters?

In summary, the conversation discusses the methods used to obtain data for lattice parameters and unit cell volumes in articles on alloys. The most common method is through X-ray diffraction (XRD) experiments, which provide experimental data on crystal structures. These experiments can be done by technicians or individuals with knowledge on XRD. The conversation also mentions the possibility of calculating lattice parameters for simple alloys, but notes that the values found in tables are usually experimental data. The conversation ends with a discussion on where to find information on these parameters, with the suggestion of consulting a university X-ray laboratory.
nakamura25
Dear Friends,

I read some articles about alloys. Most articles have a table listing lattice parameters (a,b,c-axis) and unit cell volumes. But they never explain how those data come from.

How do we get those data? By comparing XRD images with PDF databases? Or by calculation?

Example:
La(Ni3.8)Al(Mn0.2)
a = 5.0902 angstrom
b = 4.0812 angstrom
c = 0.8018 angstrom
v = 91.5765 cubic angstrom

Thank you in advance for your kindly answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually via XRD.
It IS possible to calculate lattice parameters of some simple alloys, but values you find in tables are (nearly) always experimental data.

f95toli said:
Usually via XRD.
It IS possible to calculate lattice parameters of some simple alloys, but values you find in tables are (nearly) always experimental data.

Thank you for answering!
Experimental Data?
Do you mean someone did experimental works and made them into databases (like jcpds cards)? And the article writers just quoted those data and made a table of it.

Hi,
yes someone, technician, or a person who know how to work with a XRD...
The complete molecular structure can be obtained from crystal XRD provided your sample is crystalline (i exactly don't know how long will it take to make one experiment). By this method you get complete data, almost everything about the structure in internal coordinates and so on..

Rajini said:
Hi,
yes someone, technician, or a person who know how to work with a XRD...
The complete molecular structure can be obtained from crystal XRD provided your sample is crystalline (i exactly don't know how long will it take to make one experiment). By this method you get complete data, almost everything about the structure in internal coordinates and so on..

Thanks! Now I understand how it is done.
Happy New Year!

[tex]

{\cal L}_R = \sum_{i=1}^G
\bar{E}^i_R(i\kern+0.1em /\kern-0.55em \partial
- g_1Y_E \kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em B)E^i_R +
\bar{D}^i_R(i\kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em D
- g_1Y_D \kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em B)D^i_R +
\bar{U}^i_R(i\kern+0.15em /\kern-0.65em D
- g_1Y_U \kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em B)U^i_R

[/tex]

Cool.

That was mine said:
[tex]

{\cal L}_R = \sum_{i=1}^G
\bar{E}^i_R(i\kern+0.1em /\kern-0.55em \partial
- g_1Y_E \kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em B)E^i_R +
\bar{D}^i_R(i\kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em D
- g_1Y_D \kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em B)D^i_R +
\bar{U}^i_R(i\kern+0.15em /\kern-0.65em D
- g_1Y_U \kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em B)U^i_R

[/tex]

Do you have a website defining those parameters?
Thanks!

Hi,
In our univesity we have X-Ray laboratory.They do such these things.By using inverse lattice and compering with experimental images you can find axis valuse.

1. What are lattice parameters?

Lattice parameters are a set of values that define the shape and size of a unit cell in a crystalline material. They include the length of the unit cell edges and the angles between them.

2. How do you calculate lattice parameters?

Lattice parameters can be calculated using X-ray diffraction data, which measures the distance between crystal planes in a material. By analyzing this data, the lattice parameters can be determined using equations such as Bragg's law and the Miller indices.

3. What is the significance of lattice parameters?

Lattice parameters play a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of a material. They can affect the strength, density, and conductivity of a material, and can also provide important information about its crystal structure and composition.

4. Can lattice parameters change under different conditions?

Yes, lattice parameters can change under different conditions such as temperature, pressure, and chemical composition. These changes can affect the overall structure and properties of a material.

5. How are lattice parameters used in materials science?

Lattice parameters are used in materials science to characterize and study the structure and properties of crystalline materials. They can also be used to determine the phase and composition of a material, and to predict its behavior under different conditions.