Vectors, n-tuples, and headaches oh my

• Thread starter kashiark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the values of x and y in an n-tuple C, which has two representations in terms of the linearly independent pair A and B. The equations aA+bB+cC = 0 and (x-3)A-yB=-yA-(x+2)B are used to solve for the numerical values of x and y. The conversation provides guidance on how to solve the equations and concludes with the understanding that the problem was over-thought.
kashiark

Homework Statement

An n-tuple C has two representation in terms of the linearly independent pair A,B
C = (x-3)A - YB
C = -yA - (x+2)B

Solve for x and y.

Homework Equations

aA+bB+cC = 0
where A,B,C are linearly dependent n-tuples and a,b,c are real numbers that don't all equal 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this problem about a billion different ways; however, none yielded promising results. I know the answer, and it is numerical! I don't want x and y in terms of A and B; they have numerical values. It would be helpful to explain what you're doing as you do it, but I can probably figure it out if you just show the work; laziness is something that I understand well. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I get why you are confused. If A and B are linearly independent and (x-3)A-yB=-yA-(x+2)B, doesn't that mean (x-3)=(-y) and (-y)=(-(x+2))? That's two equations in two unknowns. Just solve them.

I guess I was over-thinking it; thanks!

What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. In other words, they represent a physical quantity that has both size and direction in space. Vectors are often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

What are n-tuples?

An n-tuple is a list of n elements, where n can be any positive integer. In mathematics, n-tuples are used to represent a point or position in n-dimensional space. For example, a 3-tuple (x, y, z) can represent a point in 3-dimensional space, while a 2-tuple (x, y) can represent a point in 2-dimensional space.

How are vectors and n-tuples related?

Vectors and n-tuples are related in that they both represent quantities with magnitude and direction. In fact, n-tuples can be used to represent vectors in n-dimensional space. For example, a 3-tuple (x, y, z) can represent a vector with components in the x, y, and z directions.

Why are vectors important in science?

Vectors are important in science because they allow us to describe and analyze physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. Many physical phenomena, such as velocity, force, and acceleration, can be represented as vectors. Vectors also play a crucial role in many mathematical and scientific theories, such as vector calculus and electromagnetism.

What are some real-world applications of vectors and n-tuples?

Vectors and n-tuples have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to represent and analyze motion, forces, and other physical quantities in the design and analysis of structures and systems. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to represent and manipulate objects in 2D and 3D space.