Can someone teach me for this?

• Thread starter 54088
  • Start date
In summary: I'm sorry I wasn't here.But I can't catch your point.What I said means,at first n=1,after 12.1eV comes,n=3. n=3 has 3 ways to go as following:goto 2,releasing 1.9eVgoto 1,releasing 12.1eVbut after 3 go to 2,we still have a 2,and this 2 can goto 1,releasing 10.2eV
Figure 1 shows part of an energy level diagram for a hydrogen atom.

n=4 ------ -0.85eV
n=3 ------ -1.50eV
n=2 ------ -3.40eV
n=1 ------ -13.60eV

When an electron of energy 12.1eV collides with the atom, photons of three different energies are emitted.
[a] on Figure 1 show with arrows the transitions responsible for these photons.

> ?

Calculate the wavelength of the photon with the smallest energy. Give your answer to an appropriate number of significant figures.

>(E = hcl入)
>energy in joules = (??) x 1.6 x 10^-19 = (?)(J)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this should be in the homework forum. Someone will probably move it for you. (Whoever does can delete this post)

diazona said:
I think this should be in the homework forum. Someone will probably move it for you. (Whoever does can delete this post)

Hi, this is not my homework, I am revising Physics at the moment, I am stuck with this question.

I've forgot most of atomic physics. But I can show u the process.
[a]at first n=1,then comes the electron with 12.1eV,so the energy raises from -13.6 to -1.5,and n=3.Energy always wants to go from the high level to the low level,and at this time we have 3 ways,that is 3->2,2->1,3->1,these are the "photons of three different energies"
then is easy

mensa said:
I've forgot most of atomic physics. But I can show u the process.
[a]at first n=1,then comes the electron with 12.1eV,so the energy raises from -13.6 to -1.5,and n=3.Energy always wants to go from the high level to the low level,and at this time we have 3 ways,that is 3->2,2->1,3->1,these are the "photons of three different energies"
then is easy

---------------------
---------------------
↓ ...↓
---------------------
↓....↓
---------------------
↓....↓
---------------------

Is it kindda look like this...?:confused:

I'm sorry I wasn't here.
But I can't catch your point.
What I said means,at first n=1,after 12.1eV comes,n=3. n=3 has 3 ways to go as following
goto 2,releasing 1.9eV
goto 1,releasing 12.1eV
but after 3 go to 2,we still have a 2,and this 2 can goto 1,releasing 10.2eV

Alright, I'm super confused by this point. To the OP: can you upload figure 1? Where are the arrows?

1. Can someone teach me for this?

Yes, there are many people who are willing to teach and share their knowledge with others.

2. How can I find someone to teach me?

You can start by asking friends or colleagues who have expertise in the subject you want to learn. You can also look for online courses or workshops related to the topic.

3. Is it better to learn from a teacher or on my own?

It depends on the individual and the subject. Some people may prefer learning on their own through online resources or books, while others may benefit more from having a teacher who can guide and clarify any doubts.

4. How long does it take to learn something new?

The time it takes to learn something new varies from person to person and also depends on the complexity of the subject. It is important to have patience and dedication when learning something new.

5. Can I teach myself without any prior knowledge?

It is possible to teach yourself without any prior knowledge, but it may take longer and require more effort. It is always helpful to have a basic understanding of the subject before attempting to learn it on your own.