Motion in Fields (two parallel plates when voltage is applied)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a new p.d. V volts applied to two parallel metallic plates with a separation of 2.2mm, causing a particle with a mass of 3.5 x 10^-15 kg and a charge of 6.4 x 10^-19 C to move upwards at a constant velocity of 4 x 10^-5 m/s. By considering the frictional force proportional to speed and net force equaling zero, the value of V is calculated to be 167V.
jasper10

Homework Statement

Two parallel metallic plates are placed horizontally with a separation of 2.2mm. When the voltage is reduced to zero (so that the plates are neutral), the particle (or sphere) is observed to fall with constant velocity. It is observed to travel 0.85 mm in 8.9s.
A new p.d. V volts is now applied to the plates, which causes the particle to move upwards with a constant velocity of 4 x 10^-5 m/s. You may assume for small velocities like this, the frictional force is proportional to the speed.
Calculate the value of V.
Mass of Particle: 3.5 x 10^-15 kg
Charge of Particle: 6.4 x 10^-19 C
g : 9.81ms^-2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

KE1= Vq = .5mv^2 0= .5 x 3.5 x 10^-15 x (.00085 / 8.9)^2 = 1.596 x 10^-23J
KE2= Vq = .5mv^2 0= .5 x 3.5 x 10^-15 x (4 x 10^-5)^2 = 2.8 x 10^-24

KEtotal= KE1 + KE2 = 1.876 x 10^-23J = Vq
V = 2.9x10^-5 volts

Isn't this value faaar too small?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any answers or suggestions are highly appreciated!

You forgot to consider air resistance, which robs the particle of energy.

Try calculating this using forces instead of energies. You know that in both cases, the particle is moving at constant velocity, meaning net force = 0.

This problem is extremely easy. You'll see this when you get the answer.

jasper10 said:
KE1= Vq = .5mv^2 0= .5 x 3.5 x 10^-15 x (.00085 / 8.9)^2 = 1.596 x 10^-23J
KE2= Vq = .5mv^2 0= .5 x 3.5 x 10^-15 x (4 x 10^-5)^2 = 2.8 x 10^-24
These equations don't apply here. This would be true IF the particle started from rest at one plate and had a constant acceleration until it reached the other plate.

Instead, use the fact that
...the frictional force is proportional to the speed
i.e.,
F = -bv
where b is a constant.

well for the first one (no voltage), v = 9.55 x 10^-5

F = -bv so 9.81 x 3.5 x 10^-15 = -b x 9.55 x 10^-5

is it correct to use 9.81 x 3.5 x 10^-15 as the force? if so then you could find
-b = 9-81x3.5 x 10^-15 /v

then u find F(2) = -b x (4 x 10^-5)

and since F = Vq / D, V can be found. Is this the correct method? But have I taken into account that it is traveling at constant velocity (net force= 0)?

Thanks !

Last edited:
but then i get V to be 49.14 voltswhich is the wrong answer, as it says that when V = 118V, the particle is stationary (not moving up or downwards!)...what have i done wrong?
i.e. what do i use as the force?

Last edited:
You're on the right track. Don't forget that gravity always acts on the particle, whether it is moving upward or downward.

oh so the total force would be

F = (-b x v) + (mg)= (3.59 x 10^-10 x 4 x 10^-5 ) + (9.81 x 3.5 x 10^-15)

= 4.87 x 10^-14

then, by using F = Vq / D, I get V to be 167V.

This must be the correct answer (at least I hope it is!)

thanks so much!

Last edited:
jasper10 said:
... I get V to be 167V.

This must be the correct answer (at least I hope it is!)
Looks good (at least that's what I got too) :smile:

1. What is the purpose of using two parallel plates in motion in fields experiments?

The two parallel plates are used to create an electric field between them. When a voltage is applied, the charged particles in the field experience a force and move in a specific direction, allowing for the study of motion in an electric field.

2. How does the voltage affect the motion of particles in between the two plates?

The voltage applied to the plates determines the strength of the electric field, which in turn affects the magnitude and direction of the force experienced by the particles. As the voltage increases, the force on the particles also increases, causing them to move faster and in a more defined path.

3. Can the distance between the two plates affect the motion of particles in the electric field?

Yes, the distance between the two plates can affect the strength of the electric field and therefore impact the motion of particles. A smaller distance between the plates will result in a stronger electric field, while a larger distance will result in a weaker electric field.

4. What types of particles can be used in motion in fields experiments?

Any charged particle, such as electrons, protons, or ions, can be used in motion in fields experiments. These particles will experience a force in an electric field and can be observed and studied to understand their motion.

5. How is the motion of particles in an electric field related to the concepts of acceleration and velocity?

The motion of particles in an electric field can be described using concepts of acceleration and velocity. The force experienced by the particles in the field causes them to accelerate, and the direction of this acceleration is dependent on the direction of the electric field. The velocity of the particles will also change based on the strength of the electric field and the time they spend in the field.