Visualizing Curved Space-Time in 2D

In summary, General Relativity explains that mass creates a curvature in the space-time fabric. This curvature is not limited to just three dimensions, but also includes time as a dimension. It can be difficult to visualize this curvature in 2D, but there are some resources available to help understand it. However, visualizing it in 4D is not easily achievable.
kevin_13
General Relativity explains that every single piece of mass alters the space-time fabric, creating a curve. But since we live on a three-dimensional universe shouldn't the curvature alter the fabric in every dimension, creating some kind of weird closed curve that might look as a bubble around the mass.
I really cannot visualize the curvature working in 2D.
I don't know if you understand what I mean, if not sorry I'm not very good at physics
(excuse my ignorance).

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is some material that might help you to understand curvature in two spatial dimensions, which is the simplest kind to understand: http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/genrel/ch05/ch05.html#Section5.3

The curvature described by general relativity isn't 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional, it's four-dimensional, because time is included as a dimension.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is space-time curvature 3D?

Yes, space-time curvature is considered to be 3D in nature. This means that it has three dimensions, namely length, width, and height. These dimensions allow for the curvature of space-time to be represented and understood in mathematical models.

2. How is space-time curvature measured?

Space-time curvature is measured using the theory of general relativity, which was developed by Albert Einstein. This theory explains how the presence of mass and energy can cause the fabric of space-time to curve. The degree of curvature is measured through mathematical equations and can vary depending on the amount and distribution of mass and energy in a given space-time region.

3. Can space-time curvature be observed?

Yes, space-time curvature can be observed through various phenomena, such as gravitational lensing and the orbit of celestial bodies. Gravitational lensing refers to the bending of light as it passes through a region of curved space-time, which can be observed through telescopes. The orbit of celestial bodies, such as planets around a star, also demonstrates the effect of space-time curvature.

4. How does space-time curvature affect our daily lives?

While the effects of space-time curvature are not directly noticeable in our daily lives, it plays a crucial role in the functioning of the universe. It is responsible for the force of gravity, which keeps celestial bodies in their orbits and allows us to stay grounded on Earth. Without space-time curvature, the laws of physics as we know them would not exist, and the universe would be a very different place.

5. Can space-time curvature change over time?

Yes, space-time curvature can change over time, as it is influenced by the distribution of mass and energy in a given space-time region. As the universe evolves and matter and energy move and interact, the curvature of space-time can also change. This is an ongoing process that is still being studied and understood by scientists.