Two blocks on frictionless table, friction between blocks (Blocks side by side)

In summary, the blocks must be moved with a minimum force of 980N in order for the table to stay still.
mcleanrs
2 really tricky ones for me on this homework assignment. I think I got the other one settled (Thanks to help here) -- now I just need to finish this last one.

Homework Statement

8-5-1.png

Two blocks sit on this frictionless table, but there is friction between the blocks.

Static = .589
Kinetic = .332

A = 100 kg
B = 10 kgWhat minimum force F must be exerted on A in order for B not to fall?

Homework Equations

F=m•a

R - the static resistive force ---> fs*F=R

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt 1:

Since B isn't moving, I'll use the static friction force. I know that the force that A applies on B, times the static force, will be my upward force -- which I need to counter the downward force of gravity.

Since B is 10kg, I need 98 kg of up force.

98/589 = 166.4 N

So

Force to move block A = 980 N
Force to move block B = 98 N

980+98+166.4=1244 N

The only problem is I am given a range for the answer, and I need to be between 1700 and 2200, so I know that answer is wrong.

Once I find the force, then I'm supposed to find the overall acceleration...I think that should be easy, once I know the force.

Physics news on Phys.org
F is a horizontal force, all the others you used are vertical, so there is a problem with your method.

Draw the free body diagram for the blocks: there is a horizontal force F acting on A and there is the normal force N acting between the blocks. The blocks move with the same acceleration "a" on the (horizontal) table.

The resultant horizontal force on A is F-N. F-N=100a.
The horizontal force on B is N: N=10a.
In the vertical direction, you have the downward force of gravity and the upward static friction, they should cancel.
The maximum static friction is N*fs, N*fs=10g.
You have to eliminate a and N from the three equations to get F.

ehild

Ok I was able to figure it out with that explanation. I'm not completely catching onto why it worked out that way, but I'm starting to get it. We have some more to do with this topic in the class, and I'm pretty sure it will click the next time it's explained.

Thanks very much for your help.

1. What is the purpose of studying two blocks on a frictionless table with friction between the blocks?

The purpose of studying this scenario is to understand how friction between two objects can affect their motion on a frictionless surface. This can help scientists better understand the role of friction in real-world situations and inform the development of new technologies.

2. How does friction between the blocks affect their motion?

Friction between the blocks causes a force to act on each block in the opposite direction of their motion. This force can slow down or stop the blocks' motion, or cause them to move in different directions depending on the orientation and magnitude of the force.

3. Can friction between the blocks be reduced or eliminated?

In this scenario, friction between the blocks is assumed to be present and cannot be reduced or eliminated. However, in real-world situations, friction can be reduced by using lubricants or modifying the surface of the objects. In some cases, friction can also be eliminated by using materials with very low coefficients of friction.

4. How does the mass and surface area of the blocks affect friction between them?

The mass and surface area of the blocks do not directly affect friction between them. However, a heavier block may experience more friction due to its weight and a block with a larger surface area may experience more friction due to increased contact with the other block.

5. What other factors can affect friction between the blocks?

Other factors that can affect friction between the blocks include the roughness and composition of the surfaces, the presence of any external forces acting on the blocks, and the angle at which the blocks are placed in relation to each other.