Electric Fields Question- Uniform Field

So all the equations you wrote still work, only you must replace g by E.In summary, at t = 6.5 s, the x-coordinate of the position of the particle is 205.86 m and the y-coordinate is 95.9 m. To find these coordinates, the magnitude of the force on the particle must first be calculated using the given information. Then, using the kinematic equations for projectile motion, the x- and y-components of the force can be found and used to determine the particle's position at t = 6.5 s.
r34racer01
showmepl-6.gif

Throughout space there is a uniform electric field in the -y direction of strength E = 540 N/C. There is no gravity. At t = 0, a particle with mass m = 3 g and charge q = -17 µC is at the origin moving with a velocity v0 = 25 m/s at an angle θ = 25° above the x-axis.

(a) What is the magnitude of the force acting on this particle?
F = 0.00918N

(b) At t = 6.5 s, what are the x- and y-coordinates of the position of the particle?
x = ? y = ?
HELP: Recall and apply the kinematic expressions for 2-D projectile motion from mechanics.

E = F/Q = (KQ)/r^2
Range = (vo^2*sin(2Θ))/g
Trajectory = x*tan(Θ)-(1/2)((g*x^2)/(vo^2*cos^2(Θ))
v = vo+at
x = xo + v0t+(1/2)at^2
v^2-vo^2 = 2a(x-xo)

Ok pt a.) was really easy but I'm completely stuck on part b. It says to use kinematics equations but I don't see how that can work. We're not given acceleration and we're told gravity is not acting on the particle, and we don't know the speed at t=6.5s. I thought maybe I could set the force from pt a equal to m*a and that gave me 3.06 but the coordinates I got were not correct. Am I suppose to assume that the acceleration is zero since the electric force field is constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

acceleration is Force divided by mass

Best regards

r34racer01 said:
showmepl-6.gif

Throughout space there is a uniform electric field in the -y direction of strength E = 540 N/C. There is no gravity. At t = 0, a particle with mass m = 3 g and charge q = -17 µC is at the origin moving with a velocity v0 = 25 m/s at an angle θ = 25° above the x-axis.

(a) What is the magnitude of the force acting on this particle?
F = 0.00918N

(b) At t = 6.5 s, what are the x- and y-coordinates of the position of the particle?
x = ? y = ?
HELP: Recall and apply the kinematic expressions for 2-D projectile motion from mechanics.

E = F/Q = (KQ)/r^2
Range = (vo^2*sin(2Θ))/g
Trajectory = x*tan(Θ)-(1/2)((g*x^2)/(vo^2*cos^2(Θ))
v = vo+at
x = xo + v0t+(1/2)at^2
v^2-vo^2 = 2a(x-xo)

Ok pt a.) was really easy but I'm completely stuck on part b. It says to use kinematics equations but I don't see how that can work. We're not given acceleration and we're told gravity is not acting on the particle, and we don't know the speed at t=6.5s. I thought maybe I could set the force from pt a equal to m*a and that gave me 3.06 but the coordinates I got were not correct. Am I suppose to assume that the acceleration is zero since the electric force field is constant?

You calculated a Force. YOu have the mass of the particle, so F = ma... Just got to get the direction of the net force, thus the acceleration correct. Then use your kinematics. But don't use g, use the a you found from F=ma..

whoops, answered above.

Ok well like I said before I tried F = ma => 0.00918 = 0.003kg * a => a = 3.06 m/s^2. I then did x = x0+v0*t + 0.5*a*t^2 ==> x = 0 + 25(6.5) + 0.5(3.06)(6.5)^2 = 227.1425. I then resolved this into x and y components and got x = 205.86 and y = 95.9. These didn't work so I'm still lost.

v0 is a vector doing 25º
E (and therefore F) is a vector going in the y direction.

You must find the velocity in the x and y component, the force in the x and y component (in this case the x component of the force is 0), and apply kinematic's equation on each component.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
The only difference form the classical projectile problem is that the gravitational field is replaced by the electrostatic field, they obey the same laws, only the expression of the force is different(G = mg for gravity, F = qE in this case, F plays the role of G).

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged particle exerts on other charged particles in its vicinity. It can also be thought of as the force per unit charge acting on a particle.

What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is one in which the magnitude and direction of the electric field remain constant throughout its region. This means that the field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This can be calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge placed in the field by the magnitude of the charge.

What is the direction of the electric field in a uniform field?

In a uniform electric field, the direction of the electric field is the same at all points. It is perpendicular to the equipotential lines and parallel to the field lines.

What are some real-life applications of uniform electric fields?

Uniform electric fields are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in capacitors, particle accelerators, and cathode ray tubes. They are also used in electrostatic painting, where a uniform electric field is used to attract paint particles to a surface.