Vector Calc Homework: Find Unit Vector in Direction of ⃗rP & P to Q

In summary, the unit vector in the direction of ⃗rP is (1/5)(-3i + 4j) and the unit vector in the direction from P to Q is (1/17)(8j - 3i + 4j) or (1/17)(-3i + 12j).
~Sam~

Homework Statement

1. Consider the point P at position ⃗rP = (−3.0 mm)ˆı + (4.0 mm)jˆ. Give an expression for rˆP , the unit vector in the direction of ⃗r.

2. Consider the point P from exercise 1 and another point Q at position ⃗rQ = (8.0 mm)jˆ. Give an expression for rˆPQ, the unit vector in the direction from P to Q.

Homework Equations

Not much really..maybe length formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering...x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) i +y/sqrt(x^2+y^2) plug it into get (3/5)i+(4/5)j

For part two..would I subtract rQ-rP...so 4.0j-[-3.0i+4.0j)? Or would it be 4.0j-[(3/5)i+(4/5)j)? Then do the same..x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) i +y/sqrt(x^2+y^2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
~Sam~ said:

Homework Statement

1. Consider the point P at position ⃗rP = (−3.0 mm)ˆı + (4.0 mm)jˆ. Give an expression for rˆP , the unit vector in the direction of ⃗r.

2. Consider the point P from exercise 1 and another point Q at position ⃗rQ = (8.0 mm)jˆ. Give an expression for rˆPQ, the unit vector in the direction from P to Q.

Homework Equations

Not much really..maybe length formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering...x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) i +y/sqrt(x^2+y^2) plug it into get (3/5)i+(4/5)j

For part two..would I subtract rQ-rP...so 4.0j-[-3.0i+4.0j)? Or would it be 4.0j-[(3/5)i+(4/5)j)? Then do the same..x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) i +y/sqrt(x^2+y^2)?
There are a lot of characters in what you wrote that aren't rendering correctly, so I'm not 100% sure of what you wrote.

One relevant equation that you didn't think to add is the one for the magnitude of a vector. If v = ai + bj + ck = <a, b, c> is a nonzero vector, then a unit vector with the same direction as v is (1/|v|)v = (1/sqrt(a2 + b2 + c2))<a, b, c>.

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a length of 1. It is often used to represent direction and is useful in calculations involving vectors.

2. How do you find the unit vector in the direction of a given vector?

To find the unit vector in the direction of a given vector, you first need to calculate the magnitude of the given vector. Then, divide each component of the vector by the magnitude to get the unit vector. The resulting vector will have a length of 1 and point in the same direction as the given vector.

3. What is the difference between a vector and a unit vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. A unit vector, on the other hand, has a magnitude of 1 and is used to indicate direction only.

4. How do you find the unit vector from point P to point Q?

To find the unit vector from point P to point Q, you first need to subtract the coordinates of point P from point Q to get the vector connecting the two points. Then, follow the same process as finding the unit vector in the direction of a given vector (see question 2).

5. Why is finding the unit vector important in vector calculus?

Finding the unit vector is important in vector calculus because it allows us to simplify calculations involving vectors. Unit vectors are also used to represent direction in many physical applications, such as velocity and force.