Confused about Centripetal and Radial Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion regarding the difference between centripetal and radial acceleration. The solution manual draws the radial acceleration vector with a negative sign, but uses the centripetal acceleration equation for the solution. The total acceleration is the vector sum of the tangential and radial acceleration, and they both point towards the center of the circle. The given homework problem involves calculating the acceleration when a train slows down while rounding a sharp turn with a given radius.
JustSomeGuy80
Hello, I was trying to do this problem and then I looked at the solution manual and found something that confused me. I am having trouble distinguishing between centripetal and radial acceleration. According to the equation in the book [tex]a_r=-a_c[/tex], which kind of confuses me. Isn't a centripetal acceleration vector pointed towards the center of a circle in uniform circular motion? Then why do they draw the radial acceleration vector, which has the opposite sign of the centripetal acceleration vector, pointing towards the center of the circle also? Aren't they supposed to be pointing in opposite directions? In the solution manual, he draws the radial acceleration vector, but then uses the centripetal equation for the solution. Can someone explain this to me? Particularly how centripetal and radial acceleration relate to one another. An analogy would nice if possible. Thx.

Here is a http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc304/JustSomeGuy805/PHYSCS.jpg" of what I am talking about where the radial acceleration vector is drawn but then the centripetal acceleration equation is used instead.

Homework Statement

A train slows down as it rounds a sharp horizontal turn, slowing from 90.0 km/h to 50.0 km/h in the 15.0 seconds that it takes to round the bend. The radius of the curve is 150 m. Compute the acceleration at the moment the train speed reaches 50.0 km/h. Assume that it continues to slow down at this time at a constant rate.

Homework Equations

v=velocity, a=acceleration, r=radius
radial acceleration: [tex]{a_r} = - {{{v^2}} \over r}[/tex]

tangential acceleration: [tex]{a_t} = \left| {{{dv} \over {dt}}} \right|[/tex]

acceleration vector: [tex]\vec a = {{\vec a}_r} + {{\vec a}_t}[/tex]

centripetal acceleration: [tex]{a_c} = {{{v^2}} \over r}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The total acceleration is the vector sum of the tangential acceleration and the acceleration perpendicular to the tangential acceleration, which is the radial accelearation. The radial acceleration and the centripetal acceleration are one and the same; both point inwards toward the center of the circle. I don't know why they put a minus sign on the centripetal acceleration, unless they got confused with centrifugal acceleration, which does not exist in an inertial reference frame.

1. What is the difference between centripetal and radial acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular motion, while radial acceleration is the acceleration along the radial direction of a circular motion.

2. How are centripetal and radial acceleration related?

Centripetal acceleration is a type of radial acceleration, as it is directed towards the center along the radial direction.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

4. Can centripetal acceleration change direction?

Yes, centripetal acceleration can change direction as the direction of the velocity and radius changes in a circular motion.

5. How does the magnitude of centripetal acceleration change with the velocity and radius?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration increases with an increase in velocity and decreases with an increase in radius in a circular motion.