Wireless Frequencies: Red Light Frequency Visible?

In summary: I think you'll need an antenna that can cover a frequency range wider than the red light you mentioned.
Goalie_Ca
Okay, this may sound like a dumb question, but if i were to create a wireless signal with a frequency of red light for example, how come i would not see red light... or would i? Is this a difference caused by real and virtual photons?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Creating red light IS creating a wireless signal with a frequency that of red light.

I guess what i mean to say is that if i had an antenna and i kicked the frequency up to 430 THz (somehow) would i see red light?

Goalie_Ca said:
I guess what i mean to say is that if i had an antenna and i kicked the frequency up to 430 THz (somehow) would i see red light?
Yes.

What type of antenna do you think you'd need?

If you loosen your definition of "antenna" ...

turin said:
If you loosen your definition of "antenna" ...
Right - a light bulb is, in a loose sense, an antenna transmitting at a wide frequency range.

edit: light bulb isn't a great analogy - laser is better. And lasers are even used for wired and wireless communications.

Last edited:
err, so what i meant by antenna is like a standard antenna! The type a cell phone or 802.11g card has.

Goalie_Ca said:
err, so what i meant by antenna is like a standard antenna! The type a cell phone or 802.11g card has.
In that case, no. An antenna like that has a fairly narrow range of frequencies it can transmit/receive in due to the physical size of the antenna and construction of the transmitter.

If you would like to consider the infrared rather than optical, and consider highly directional paths rather than sectors (though even mobile/wireless technology is moving strongly to beams, to increase frequency re-use), then free-space optics may be what you're interested in. The idea? Think optical fibre, without the fibre. :smile:

The 'antennae' look rather different than what's on a mobile handset. :eek:

Okay, can it not transmit / receive because of capacitances in the antenna making it act as a filter?

Think about how large a half-wave dipole would need to be for even red light (L = 400 nm at the longest). Then, how would you couple to your antenna? The thinnest wires I've ever seen would have a diameter on the order of the length of your antenna, and at those frequencies, you can't afford the random surface current effects that this would cause. And related to this issue, the dipole would need to be so thin that QM effects would dominate any of the CM effects that you would be trying to achieve. You're best bet is to use a diode. This is even done often all the way down to the microwave frequencies (Gunn diodes in horn antennas).

I think i get what you're getting at.

My EM knowledge is, to put it bluntly, very weak. Sadly, i have to wait a while, due to the course offering schedules and my own, to take the two other courses in it that i plan on taking.

1. What is a wireless frequency?

A wireless frequency is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is used to transmit information without the need for physical wires. It is a form of energy that travels through space and can be picked up by devices such as radios, cell phones, and Wi-Fi routers.

2. What is red light frequency visible?

Red light frequency visible is a type of wireless frequency that falls within the visible light spectrum. It has a longer wavelength than other visible light frequencies, giving it a red color. Red light frequency visible is often used in telecommunications and remote controls.

3. How is red light frequency visible different from other wireless frequencies?

Red light frequency visible is different from other wireless frequencies in terms of its wavelength and energy. It has a longer wavelength than other visible light frequencies, making it less energetic. This means it can travel through materials like air and glass without being absorbed, making it useful for long-distance communication.

4. What are the potential health effects of red light frequency visible?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that red light frequency visible has any negative health effects on humans. It is a non-ionizing radiation, meaning it does not have enough energy to break apart molecules in cells. However, prolonged exposure to any wireless frequency may cause minor effects such as headaches or fatigue.

5. How are wireless frequencies regulated?

Wireless frequencies, including red light frequency visible, are regulated by government agencies such as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in the United States. These agencies set guidelines for the use of wireless frequencies to ensure they do not interfere with each other and do not exceed safe levels of exposure for humans.